Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Hey guys I finally got around to reading the D90 manual. I noticed it says to remove eyepiece and replace it with the blockoff plate when you are using the remote or timer. It says the light let in (becuase your face isnt there) can mess with the exposure.

Does anyone do this in practice? It seems like a hassle to do that but then again I was looking at the lens the other day and clearly saw the light from the viewfinder visable.

Any ideas?
zack

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
of course you can see the light coming in if the mirror is down.

when not taking an exposure the light goes through the lens, bounces off the mirror and then to the viewfinder.

when the camera is exposing the mirror flips up and the light goes through the lens and then hits the sensor.

I never use the viewfinder cap, i don't even know where it is.
I imagine that the mirror does not perfectly seal the light-path from the viewfinder and if a strong enough light shines into it, some might find it's way to the sensor and cause loss of contrast.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
edit: oh wait, I guess I am an idiot ;)

light that gets in from the back messes up the automatic exposure reading ...
it only came to me now after i did this "test". ...
i alway use manual settings when i'm using a self timer or the remote, therefore i never noticed it.

I just did some non-scientific "testing" with a nikon d40.
Both shots are 30 second exposures at ISO1600. Both shots have +10 stops of exposure and -0.1 offset applied in photoshop. that makes them ultra unrealistic high iso1638400.

first image: lens cap on, camera under thick blanket => absolutely no light.

second image: lens cap on, camera on table, bright fluorescent lamp directly at viewfinder.

Observations: the two "bright" areas in the upper left corner are amp-glow. Those are normal.
The horizontal bands are normal too.

The second image has one "bright" area in the center right that could result from the light source. In general number 2 is "brighter"

Of course, since I only took 2 exposures, this "result" could be a normal sensor data variation.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
interesting.. maybe i'll take a few sample shots with normal, normal with light behind viewfinder, and viewfinder blocked

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
interesting.. maybe i'll take a few sample shots with normal, normal with light behind viewfinder, and viewfinder blocked

Camera manufacturers include a rubber or plastic piece to cover the viewfinder, and explain the reasons why you should use it. It's in the owner's manual, and for good reasons. When looking through the viewfinder, your eye and rest of the face is serving as the plastic piece (blocking unwanted light from behind the camera). Using it is very important when taking photos of Northern Lights, for example, where this "unwanted light" can screw-up your photos. The damage to your photos is a lot more noticeable when taking long exposure photos in the darkness of night.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Camera manufacturers include a rubber or plastic piece to cover the viewfinder, and explain the reasons why you should use it.

Not sure how it is packaged on the Nikons but for Canon they have it on the included neck strap so it is nice and handy.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
yes its included in nikons.. I was specifically asking if it really makes a difference in day to day useage

Zack

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
yes its included in nikons.. I was specifically asking if it really makes a difference in day to day useage

Zack

It probably falls under one of three categories....

1) it does make a difference so it is included as part of the standard accessories

2) the plastic bit is so cheap so you may as well toss it in regardless, even if Joe Average doesn't use it they at least have it.

3) because it is so cheap they would look cheap themselves if they didnt include it.

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
Does using mirror lock-up help in this regard i.e. blocking light entering via the viewfinder? Or is the point of mirror lock-up in long exposure photography solely to negate the shake caused by the mirror coming up when the shot is taken?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Does using mirror lock-up help in this regard i.e. blocking light entering via the viewfinder? Or is the point of mirror lock-up in long exposure photography solely to negate the shake caused by the mirror coming up when the shot is taken?

No and yes, respectively.

FWIW, the pro bodies (D1/2/3/700) have shutters to close off the viewfinder eyepiece, so it''s a bit more convenient.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Well here's an observation..

Today my whole family got together and we wanted a family portrait. We all setup on teh wall across from a window (so they were frontlit) and my camera on a tripod was in front of the window. While taking test shots with my face on the viewfinder the shots looked great. As soon as I switched it to remote release and went out infront of the camera all my shots came out pitch black!

The only solution was to close the drapes to block the sun and use a piece of paper to block the viewfinder (didnt have the eyepiece block plate with me).

Convinced me to use the blockplate. I'll just use liveview to focus and frame the shot and then use remote.

Zack

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.