Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samantha0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
How'ya doing?

I'm getting mixed answers for this, hence posting to this forum.

While I was watching couple of videos in maximum volume (as the videos' volume was quite low) the speaker started distorting a bit. Didn't care as I thought it could be the compressed audio in media playback causing it. Eventually, it got worse and started occurring at low volume levels.

Checked with other video sources (online and local) by doing a balance test in both speakers and I can confirm the right side speaker had given up.

Had a repair many months ago from Apple for replacing the battery as part of the replacement program but can't claim this under the repair warranty as it had crossed 90 days from repair.

If I'm giving it to Apple or Apple authorized service providers, would it cause a full top case replacement?

Linking a clipping of the distortion with balanced audio to the right side: https://streamable.com/2jgjd5

Specs
Model: Macbook Pro 2015 15 inch with integrated GPU
Warranty: Expired

Edit:
PS: Not good with electronics repair, I don't want to do it myself with the parts.

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Apple would probably replace the entire top case because the speakers and battery are held in place with adhesive.

I have never seen a case where the Apple store replaced a battery without replacing everything since the adhesive is quite strong and the risk of damage to other components is minimised with a complete top case replacement.

Samantha0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Apple would probably replace the entire top case because the speakers and battery are held in place with adhesive.

I have never seen a case where the Apple store replaced a battery without replacing everything since the adhesive is quite strong and the risk of damage to other components is minimised with a complete top case replacement.
That sucks. I can't afford the top case replacement. Seems like I've to give it to some 3rd party as it's out of warranty.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Have you tried contacting Apple about it? Since they just repaired it a few months ago, they may give you a break and replace it for free. If not then you will just be right back where you started and could look into a 3rd party repair place. I’d say that is your best bet.

Just an FYI: The speakers on the Retina MBPs are harder to replace as they are partially under boards. (Left is partially under the logic board and the right speaker is partially under the I/O board.) They are much easier to replace on the Touchbar MBPs and the 16” As it is just adhesive holding them in.

Reactions: cdcastillo

Samantha0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Have you tried contacting Apple about it? Since they just repaired it a few months ago, they may give you a break and replace it for free. If not then you will just be right back where you started and could look into a 3rd party repair place. I’d say that is your best bet.

Just an FYI: The speakers on the Retina MBPs are harder to replace as they are partially under boards. (Left is partially under the logic board and the right speaker is partially under the I/O board.) They are much easier to replace on the Touchbar MBPs and the 16” As it is just adhesive holding them in.
Are you sure it's as complex as you say with the 2015 models with a different design?

aangvento

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2020
You don't need to replace the entire top case assembly to fix the speakers. I recommend taking it to the apple store, and if they say you need to replace the entire top case assembly, take it to a 3rd party repair shop. An entire top case assembly is too expensive for an easy fix like this, but they might tell you "it's your best, safest option". Be sure you are making the smart decision, and not being guilt-trapped by them.

If you don't feel like replacing it yourself and can afford to send it to a repair shop, don't open the computer up. While it is easy enough anyone could do it, not everyone needs to. It takes time and your time might be worth more doing something else.

But if you want to open it up and will have fun with it, by all means, take the guides suggested by @BrianBaughn and go for it!

aangvento

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2020
Apple Stores in Canada will not replace an component attached to the top case with adhesive.

Doubt any store in the world will. Replacing the whole assembly is easier, requires less trained workers and is more standardized. Is it more expensive? Yes. But if they can just push the extra price to the consumers, it works out for them.

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
The speakers in the A1398 (15” Mid 2015) MacBook Pro are not held in with adhesive and are serviceable components. When Apple replaces the top case from this model the speakers are typically not replaced unless they’re diagnosed as defective at the time of the repair. With that being said, there are a few parts that need to come out in order for them to be replaced. Not the easiest thing to do if you’ve never worked on a MacBook Pro before......

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The speakers in the A1398 (15” Mid 2015) MacBook Pro are not held in with adhesive and are serviceable components. When Apple replaces the top case from this model the speakers are typically not replaced unless they’re diagnosed as defective at the time of the repair. With that being said, there are a few parts that need to come out in order for them to be replaced. Not the easiest thing to do if you’ve never worked on a MacBook Pro before......
You re correct. I thinking about the a1466 on which I changed the speakers.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
the 2015 mbp is very easy to repair, you can find the parts on ebay and amazon, if its glued just rip it out since its blown anyway. if you take it to apple ofcourse they gonna tell you to replace the entire top case since thats their guideline.

Samantha0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Thanks for the replies guys. Just got the job done. My Mac model doesn't need a full top case replacement.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Mine was a 2015 13". They did not replace the entire top case just the speakers alone.

tslockbo

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
I replaced it myself. The pair cost $18 on Amazon They are not glued to the case. There are a total of three screws holding each speaker in place. The caveat is that the left speaker is partially under the logic board and the other speaker is partially under USB/HDMI/Flash card module.

However, there are plenty videos on YouTube showing how to replace the speakers.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I replaced it myself. The pair cost $18 on Amazon They are not glued to the case. There are a total of three screws holding each speaker in place. The caveat is that the left speaker is partially under the logic board and the other speaker is partially under USB/HDMI/Flash card module.

However, there are plenty videos on YouTube showing how to replace the speakers.

Do you have a link to which to purchase?

My sisters 2015 15" has a crackling left speaker (I presume she got liquid on there or something)
I'd love to fix it for her

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.