Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Hi. I am strongly considering purchasing an external Blu-ray player for a MacBook Air 2021. I have heard that Macs do not come with the software necessary to play Blu-ray Discs.

Can anyone recommend good Software for playing Blu-ray Discs? I would like software that doesn’t have annoying ads, and works well, without glitches or other problems. Thanks.

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
I used the following a few years ago. It comes with a trial so you can test it before buying. Someone probably has a better idea for software.

Thank you. I saw it on the Mac store, but it looks pretty expensive, and has a lot of negative reviews. It is an option, but I am hoping to find something that has more positive reviews and costs less. I would be purchasing software for a church laptop, so I am trying to keep costs down.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Thank you. I saw it on the Mac store, but it looks pretty expensive, and has a lot of negative reviews. It is an option, but I am hoping to find something that has more positive reviews and costs less. I would be purchasing software for a church laptop, so I am trying to keep costs down.

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Does VLC not do this?
Apparently I need a second free app to do this, at least according to the article that another user posted. I had also read elsewhere online that VLC doesn't natively play blu-ray without changing some settings. I was hoping that maybe their newer versions would.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There is/was software out there called "Free Mac Blu-ray Player".

It's free to download and use,
HOWEVER
While playing BluRay's in "free mode" it puts up a small icon in the upper corner of the display.
The icon IS "small" and easily "ignorable".

You can get rid of it, but you have to pay a registration fee.

I've only used it once or twice, and it worked well enough for me.

I have no idea if it's still available or if it works with the m1 Macs.
But it's free to use -- might be worth a try.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I used the following a few years ago. It comes with a trial so you can test it before buying. Someone probably has a better idea for software.

I saw it on the Mac store, but it looks pretty expensive, and has a lot of negative reviews.
I use an older version on Macs with older OS, and I think is pretty good. Definitely worth a try.

Just try the free version to see if you like it. The free version has a watermark in the middle, but all the features of the SW is there.

Most of the Blu-ray SW I have seen for Mac (there isn't a lot) doesn't let you try it first, so it would definitely be worth looking into the MacGo one.

I also have used Leawo Blu-ray Player as well, but it doesn't work with newer OS versions, nor the M1 Macs. It is super basic, too much so, and the GUI really sucks. But, it plays Blu-rays.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
what about a inexpensive blu ray burning software? I have used Roxio Toast, but I don't want to spend a lot on software that I might only use a few times a month

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I'd recommend the Leawo Blu-Ray Player. It comes in a free version that lets you play your Blu-Ray discs nicely. If you want to spend a little extra, there's also the Macgo Blu-Ray Player that's pretty inexpensive. These are how I've watched my Blu-Ray discs on my 2012 i7 Mac Mini and my M1 MacBook Air.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'd recommend the Leawo Blu-Ray Player.
Is there a 64-bit version?

I used to use it, but only on my older devices.

there's also the Macgo Blu-Ray Player that's pretty inexpensive
I have switched to Bluray Player Pro:

It is easy to use, normal looking UI (unlike Leawo), and it can be used with newer MacOS versions.

There is a free, full-feature version to try, just has a watermark in the middle of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.