Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
My father has a 27" iMac bought in 2011, his main desktop
It's a 27 inch model with a 3.4GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 2TB HDD and 2GB AMD HD6970m GPU.

2 days ago when turned on (he uses Windows 7 on it a lot for Microsoft Access, the default OS) once the system got past the grey apple boot screen it came up with blue/black vertical lines across the screen. The rest of the system seems to function fine but nothing can be seen.

I know the 6970m is well known for failing and it looks like a GPU failure to me.

However just to be sure, I thought I'd check with people here. There's some things that confuse me if this is the case:
  1. Booting Windows or MacOS or Mac Recovery results in either the blue bars (windows), an instant restart (MacOS) or indefinite hanging after bar loads 1/4 of the way (recovery/usb boot).
  2. When I boot with an external monitor connected, I can use Windows 7 in safe mode with no problems! This is the main reason I'm unsure if it's 100% the GPU. Should this really be possible? (I can also get a little further with the external monitor in a normal windows boot before I get the lines)
  3. The Mac boot selection screen (alt key on startup) displays fine on the built in display and external display.
Does this sound like it's 100% the GPU? I want to be sure before we start addressing that.

-------

Assuming it is the GPU, what are our options? I know the system recently fell into the vintage category. I am pretty handy with Mac repairs. I've taken apart iBooks and Power Mac's before but I'd rather avoid opening up this more valuable piece of kit if possible. I know people have had results with "baking" the GPU in the oven. Ordering a new GPU is pricy, but that's not a big problem if it will work. But honestly we're happy to pay a few 100 euro to get it fixed professionally.

JDLang76

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2018
Dealt with that card in this model many times. Sounds like GPU to me. Baking has saved a handful for me. 375 degrees. 10 min. Elevated-corners on tin foil balls. If that doesnt work, ebay for another card. If you get the card attached to the heatsink, its a bit less hassle and safer since youre not handling the new card during repair.

Reactions: tevion5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.