Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
A Bluetooth question. I have an iPhone 12 pro and I use the Dexcom G7 sensor on the arm. The question seems Dexcom has no clue to answer. If I put the sensor on my left arm and my iPhone in my left shirt pocket, I have problems. However, if I would have the sensor on the right arm, phone in the left shirt pocket, it loses signal. The sensor connects via Bluetooth, and has to be withing 10 to 20 feet of the iphone. I admit I have put on some weight over the years, but not that distance across my chest.

They do make and I have a small receiver that has the same distance requirements, runs off its own Bluetooth. I can have that in my pants pocket, front or back and it doesn't lose signal. The advantage of the iPhone is it uploads auto to their data base. The receiver goes by USB cable.

My thought that it might be something with the bluetooth and this device as I do have other bluetooth things I use with no problem. BUT is it with the bluetooth for the iphone, some they have an error in their app code. The sensor updates every 5 min.

The easy solution would be use the left arm, but since it is imbedded with a probe and held on by adhesive, lasts only 10 days, and my arm is only so big, it has to be rotated.

I am open to theories, is it the bluetooth? other people have the same problem. and Dexcom doesn't offer suggestions or seem to give a ratsass about it.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
A Bluetooth question. I have an iPhone 12 pro and I use the Dexcom G7 sensor on the arm. The question seems Dexcom has no clue to answer. If I put the sensor on my left arm and my iPhone in my left shirt pocket, I have problems. However, if I would have the sensor on the right arm, phone in the left shirt pocket, it loses signal. The sensor connects via Bluetooth, and has to be withing 10 to 20 feet of the iphone. I admit I have put on some weight over the years, but not that distance across my chest.

They do make and I have a small receiver that has the same distance requirements, runs off its own Bluetooth. I can have that in my pants pocket, front or back and it doesn't lose signal. The advantage of the iPhone is it uploads auto to their data base. The receiver goes by USB cable.

My thought that it might be something with the bluetooth and this device as I do have other bluetooth things I use with no problem. BUT is it with the bluetooth for the iphone, some they have an error in their app code. The sensor updates every 5 min.

The easy solution would be use the left arm, but since it is imbedded with a probe and held on by adhesive, lasts only 10 days, and my arm is only so big, it has to be rotated.

I am open to theories, is it the bluetooth? other people have the same problem. and Dexcom doesn't offer suggestions or seem to give a ratsass about it.
Do you know which Bluetooth version the Dexcom supports? Do they have a community website where you could check if other users have issues?
Are there other wireless devices I. Your house that might cause interference? Do you have this issue when away from home?

Reactions: WeatherWeasel

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
Do you know which Bluetooth version the Dexcom supports? Do they have a community website where you could check if other users have issues?
Are there other wireless devices I. Your house that might cause interference? Do you have this issue when away from home
Dexcom seems to be silent on their version. They have outsourced their help dept. For me, I keep my iphone updated as updates come in. Yes it will lose signal in the car, my wife's car and my putt-putt. The big issue is signal loss. Where there are other brands such as abbott's libre 3, the problem insurance won't cover it yet. I did pay for the libre 3 and never had his issue. My initial impression is they rushed their model out, tweaked their software between their models and now this. I still haven't figured out the across body problem, why keeping the iphone in one location and putting a sensor on the other arm should make a difference .

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Dexcom seems to be silent on their version. They have outsourced their help dept. For me, I keep my iphone updated as updates come in. Yes it will lose signal in the car, my wife's car and my putt-putt. The big issue is signal loss. Where there are other brands such as abbott's libre 3, the problem insurance won't cover it yet. I did pay for the libre 3 and never had his issue. My initial impression is they rushed their model out, tweaked their software between their models and now this. I still haven't figured out the across body problem, why keeping the iphone in one location and putting a sensor on the other arm should make a difference .
found this reddit post, seems there are others with that issue
https://www.reddit.com/r/dexcom/comments/14u426i

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
Thankyou. Definitely their problem. Talking to customer service , sounds like the person has the microphone next to their lips. I had to prompt them to move it so I could undertand them. SO, guessing it is a flawed system, and maybe it is the antenna pointing away from the receiver. Now to figure out where in blazes is the antenna. Thank you.

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Thankyou. Definitely their problem. Talking to customer service , sounds like the person has the microphone next to their lips. I had to prompt them to move it so I could undertand them. SO, guessing it is a flawed system, and maybe it is the antenna pointing away from the receiver. Now to figure out where in blazes is the antenna. Thank you.
Good luck, hope you get to resolve it

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
Finally spoke to engineer. the problem is, small battery, antenna is curved around the case, range of 5 feet, and it has to be in a direct line with the sensor, so curve of the chest won't work. WTF? Also their app is need of being repaired. OK. well that is that. It is one of those wait and see and hope it happens before I don't care anymore. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.