Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
I've used the same Bluetooth headset for a few years now to make business calls, etc. I've never had any issues or complaints until I got my iPhoneXs. Then all of a sudden everyone on conference calls were like "what's that clicking sound!?" and "why do you sound like you're underwater?!?"

The incoming sound is a-ok, for calls and music, etc. But apparently the mic sound is just TERRIBLE.

I assumed that my headset needed to be replaced, so I bought a brand new one. And got the same exact complaints. So I bought another pair (slightly fancier) and am constantly getting the same complaints.

1) is this a known thing? Seems like there are a lot of topics/threads over on apple.com about this?

2) any remedies?

tx!

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
Seems like bluetooth on Xs series is borked. Apple seems to have failed with bluetooth connectivity this generation.

My XS Max is terrible with my car, where as older iphones including 8 plus work perfect, all on same os version.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
What BT headsets are you using?
First I was using a LG Electronics Tone Infinim HBS-900 collar. Then I got the Hobest collar, which were kinda cheap, but actually sounded better than the LG for music, etc. Then I got the SENSO over-ear, which sounded fine on my end. But obviously that doesn't speak to the Bluetooth quality.

I think I need to test these with another phone somehow…but with all 3 options I've been told my voice quality was TERRIBLE. Not just "meh" but "hey, can please put us on speaker??" So my fear is that it's the phone, but we'll see.

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
F U Apple.... sitting beside my bose soundbar, Xs Max, crap bluetooth connection, songs keep skipping and cutting.... Apple BIG Fail, same thing with my Audi

Reactions: JungleNYC

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
My car's Bluetooth for phone calls worked fine in my car with the 7 Plus and iPhone SE but has worked badly with both the iPhone X and its successor XS Max.

Nobody's ever been able to figure it out.

When playing music from Amazon, the Bluetooth is great.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Take it in and get it replaced. I think Apple knows it has a problem. My MAX has worked well with the SUV, two sets of Bose headphones and the AirPods.

I'm leaning that way, unfortunately. Any ideas on how to make 100% sure it's the phone?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Sorry I do not. Apple will run diagnostics on it, if it has poor audio while using Bluetooth, be prepared to demonstrate the defect. There have been multiple threads on the XSMAX have some BT difficulties, though I have not experienced them my self.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I've got a dumb question.

Does the clicking noise and hollow sound happen when you are making WiFi calls, or is it on LTE calls as well?

If you are in an area that's an early rollout of Verizon LTE, you might want to be sure you've turned off HD Voice (VoLTE).

That seems like such a shame, because HD Voice is one of the big advantages of LTE, but it sounds like you might have to do that to get a perfect Bluetooth call in those areas.

If that's the problem, I'd consider a new device before I turned off HD Voice. But, that's just me.

:)

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
I've got a dumb question.

Does the clicking noise and hollow sound happen when you are making WiFi calls, or is it on LTE calls as well?

If you are in an area that's an early rollout of Verizon LTE, you might want to be sure you've turned off HD Voice (VoLTE).

That seems like such a shame, because HD Voice is one of the big advantages of LTE, but it sounds like you might have to do that to get a perfect Bluetooth call in those areas.

If that's the problem, I'd consider a new device before I turned off HD Voice. But, that's just me.

:)

I'm an ATT dude, and I do NOT have wifi calling turned on. But that shouldn't be causing this, should it?

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Hi you still with problems after the last ios relase ( 12.1.1 ) ?
Yes, unfortunately I am :(

I saw your response last week, but wanted to give it a good test before I responded. There's something badly wrong with bluetooth call quality on this phone. Which is a huge problem.

Reactions: maxchile

Zenga13

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2015
Netherlands
I have this problem too while making a phonecall with airpods.. people complain i sound like i am underwater.. i can fix the issue by turning off the wifi.. sound is then ok again. So the wifi seems to interfere with the bluetooth.. unfortunately I have no permanent fix yet..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.