Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kosmonaut_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2024
Hey Folks,

I updated my Mac mini (2018) to Sequoia on Monday and the next morning, I discovered that the Bluetooth looks like it's turned off after I turn my mac on and it doesn't connect to my 3rd party keyboard and mouse. Specifically, it's Satechi Slim X3 keyboard and Logitech BT mouse M590.

Pretty quickly, I discovered that when I connect my keyboard to a USB-C cable in that state, it will work normally and I'm able to type my password, log in and after it loads desktop, both keyboard and mouse will connect to BT and work as usual.

I tried with resetting the Bluetooth module, then forgetting my devices and adding them back again but it didn't work.

Also, the login screen is different in Sequoia. Up until that version, my mac always had a typical black screen with white apple and that loading line after which I can type my password. Now it's different (same as on my 2018 MBP) it shows the desktop background and a password field and after you type password, it will start loading. And now my MBP has the login process the other way around, first the black screen with white apple and after it loads you can type your password.

How do I reverse this on my Mac mini as it seems that by changing the login process or whatever on Sequoia, BT is simply not working for 3rd party keyboard/mouse.

Thanks!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’d guess that BT is working fine; it’s just not loading something your 3rd party mouse & keyboard require to function until after login.

I’d work with the manufacturer of those products on a solution.

Reactions: kosmonaut_

kosmonaut_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2024
I’d guess that BT is working fine; it’s just not loading something your 3rd party mouse & keyboard require to function until after login.

I’d work with the manufacturer of those products on a solution.
Yeah, I also thought about reaching to their support. I'll try for sure but hope it gets fixed in some next macOS bug fix update.

kosmonaut_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2024
Ok, I realized what seems to be the issue - FileVault being turned on after macOS Sequoia update as I remember it asked me to turn it on.

After turning it off, my keyboard and mouse are working as usual and I found out that FileVault disables ALL non-Apple devices upon reboot, up until the user logs in to their user account.

I'll NEVER turn on FV again.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Ah, interesting. I had a non-Apple keyboard on my 2018 mini as well, but when I got the M1 I got the Apple Touch ID keyboard - WELL worth it IMO - so that hasn't been an issue for me.

Reactions: kosmonaut_
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.