Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
My G5 Quad is running Leopard and currently uses a generic USB Bluetooth dongle I got on eBay a while back. It seems to work fine for most things, but I now want to use a wireless Mighty Mouse I got in CEX for a steal. But the problem is the cursor staggers and jitters about when I connect it to the G5.

It isn't a fault with the mouse because it works flawlessly with my MBP under Sierra. So it's clearly something not right with the adapter.

Can anyone suggest a relatively cheap alternative that will ensure proper functionality with the G5?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My G5 Quad is running Leopard and currently uses a generic USB Bluetooth dongle I got on eBay a while back. It seems to work fine for most things, but I now want to use a wireless Mighty Mouse I got in CEX for a steal. But the problem is the cursor staggers and jitters about when I connect it to the G5.

It isn't a fault with the mouse because it works flawlessly with my MBP under Sierra. So it's clearly something not right with the adapter.

Can anyone suggest a relatively cheap alternative that will ensure proper functionality with the G5?
Search for these…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BELKIN-Blue...290306?hash=item3a70d7be42:g:QV0AAMXQlgtS8Hav

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BELKIN-Wire...hash=item5d261b1396:m:m86KAGkYdHom9BFval_BNew

The difference is range. One is 100M, the other is 10M.

Both adapters are seen by OS X as native Bluetooth. I.e., you will see the BT icon in the menubar.

I use the 100M range one with my G4 and it's paired with a Magic Mouse. I can even use some standard mouse gestures such as scrolling by using my fingers on top of the mouse.

Never had any issues with these. Made by Belkin.

Reactions: tevion5

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's exactly the kind of native support I'm looking for. Thanks man, I'll try to hunt one of these down.
Posting back on this since you're aware I have my G5 now.

This particular Mac did not come with BT (although the first one I got did). So, I've left my Belkin adapter in place (it's plugged into my keyboard USB slot) and I get exactly what you are looking for.

Native Bluetooth. Just like in my G4.

Reactions: tevion5

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Native Bluetooth. Just like in my G4.

Try some of the Apple pre-boot key commands such as cmd+S for single user mode or the Alt key to get to the boot selection screen,
I hope your USB dongle "Native Bluetooth" works better then mine.:(

I just re-read your post Erik and picked up on the fact that you are still using a USB keyboard so my rant from above wouldn't effect you, just those of us using BT keyboards.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Try some of the Apple pre-boot key commands such as cmd+S for single user mode or the Alt key to get to the boot selection screen,
I hope your USB dongle "Native Bluetooth" works better then mine.:(

I just re-read your post Erik and picked up on the fact that you are still using a USB keyboard so my rant from above wouldn't effect you, just those of us using BT keyboards.
Yeah, I prefer a wired keyboard. I use a BT Magic Mouse at home because it's nice to scroll webpages using the back of the mouse.

But for design work I prefer the Mighty Mouse. Unlike the Magic Mouse, the MM is light and easy to push around - especially when doing finer control work. The Magic Mouse is just a brick to push around in those situations.

I don't care for BT keyboards either way. One of the reasons being the problem(s) you mentioned.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yeah, I prefer a wired keyboard. I use a BT Magic Mouse at home because it's nice to scroll webpages using the back of the mouse.

But for design work I prefer the Mighty Mouse. Unlike the Magic Mouse, the MM is light and easy to push around - especially when doing finer control work. The Magic Mouse is just a brick to push around in those situations.

I don't care for BT keyboards either way. One of the reasons being the problem(s) you mentioned.
I also like the Mighty mouse, except for those dumb-ass "side-squeeze" buttons which are next to useless for anything.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I also like the Mighty mouse, except for those dumb-ass "side-squeeze" buttons which are next to useless for anything.
They have at least ONE use I like. :)

There are times when I am outlining an object in Photoshop but I need to pick up the mouse and move it without affecting the selection. Pressing the side buttons together tells Photoshop to hold the selection but not let the mouse move until I put it down.

So, it's useful for that. But otherwise, yeah, I agree with you.

Reactions: jbarley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.