Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cox'sPippin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Hi Forum

I'm attempting to find a bluetooth option for playing my wedding music in a small to medium sized church. Only one power outlet is available and don't want to trail speaker wires so streaming the music folder via my iphone 6 seems more convenient with a trusted operator as some of the timing is crucial. I was impressed with the Monic Psyc bluetooth 4.0 speaker pushing two 10 Watt drivers without breaking the bank, especially the sub bass for richer sound. I got one not realising the bluetooth technology is adapted to run only one through my iphone 6+.

Then I noted you can use a splitter plugged into the phono jack on the phone to utilise two bluetooth speakers. So I ordered a second Monic Psyc, not realising the splitters I have seen require the bluetooth speakers to have EDR 'Enhanced Data Rate'. I can't get Sumvision who made the speakers to respond to confirm either way as it doesn't say in the specs.

Others have had issues thinking they can pair two speakers using splitters because of the EDR issue.

http://www.psycsound.com/product/monic/monic.html

Not fully understanding the technology I don't want to purchase a splitter if it wont pair both speakers. Then some have said splitters halve the volume across the two speakers which might be an issue in a church. I have a relative wanting to use a JBL Flip 3 because they avoid the splitter issue. Yet the sound response is not good enough to my ears on the sub bass response compared to the Psyc.

I have two days to come up with a solution before a sound test on location. I don't live in the town the church is, so feeling the pinch.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/uemegaboom#intro-slide

loud, well reviewed for sound quality, will pair themselves if you want two.
don't forget to put your phone in airplane mode on the day of.

but a splitter out of the headphone jack would have nothing to do with Bluetooth. do you mean, trying to use Bluetooth and the headphone jack at the same time? also not possible as the Bluetooth signal would have a delay.

Cox'sPippin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012

Thanks Thats all folks

will check the link. I thought the headphone socket bluetooth splitter sends the audio stream signal to both bluetooth speakers.

but a splitter out of the headphone jack would have nothing to do with Bluetooth. do you mean, trying to use Bluetooth and the headphone jack at the same time? also not possible as the Bluetooth signal would have a delay.

Cox'sPippin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012

This is the splitter I had in mind just don't think the Monic speakers have EDR (required).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOKKIA-iSP...words=Bluetooth+Transmitter/Receiver/Splitter

The Monic Psyc's are just under £40. I think they sound better than the JBL and the Megaboom. £300 for the later phew. A JBL is just under £70.

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
This is the splitter I had in mind just don't think the Monic speakers have EDR (required).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOKKIA-iSPLITTER-MULTI-STREAMING-Transmitter-SmartPhones/dp/B00IQYC4R4/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468001106&sr=1-9&keywords=Bluetooth+Transmitter/Receiver/Splitter

The Monic Psyc's are just under £40. I think they sound better than the JBL and the Megaboom. £300 for the later phew. A JBL is just under £70.
okay, that is different than what I thought you were getting at. I cant speak to the abilities of the Monic. what I do know is that the Megaboom will let you run a pair of itself from a single source. it is expensive, but is waterproof, 20 hour battery and a variety of other features that few of it's competitors can match. so it's expensive for a reason. but I can understand that you might not want to spend that much for a single event.

you might look to rent something from a pro audio/music shop/event company. I cant offer a specific product but renting a PA system is a common occurrence. Bluetooth and battery power are fairly common now. maybe there isn't a single device solution but a package that will do it. and renting means you can make use of something that would be too expensive to buy.

Cox'sPippin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
okay, that is different than what I thought you were getting at. I cant speak to the abilities of the Monic. what I do know is that the Megaboom will let you run a pair of itself from a single source. it is expensive, but is waterproof, 20 hour battery and a variety of other features that few of it's competitors can match. so it's expensive for a reason. but I can understand that you might not want to spend that much for a single event.

you might look to rent something from a pro audio/music shop/event company. I cant offer a specific product but renting a PA system is a common occurrence. Bluetooth and battery power are fairly common now. maybe there isn't a single device solution but a package that will do it. and renting means you can make use of something that would be too expensive to buy.

Yeah I need to look into the rent option. Good suggestion. Cheers.

Cox'sPippin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Converted my regular midi system into a bluetooth system using an audio receiver plugged into the line in and even managed to plug one monic bluetooth speaker into the line out to gain 3 speakers, now streaming the music via iphone or ipad for the win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.