Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Are there any free Blu Ray rip apps around? Which would you recommend?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
WHAT? Just found out that my mid2010 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac will not recognize the BluRay disk! :(

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I burn and rip BD from time to time, using an external LG burner. Is there an issue with acquiring an internal BD drive that would work inside a Mac laptop - which originally had an optical drive?

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Apple has never supported Blu-ray at all – presumably they thought their iTunes model was better for them and customers; it's like Apple to make that kind of single strong choice. But I never cared for digital downloads of movies, so I eventually invested in an MakeMKV license and an affordable Blu-ray reader.

A great deal of time, effort and money later, I'd replaced the unreliable optical drive with a second, which also stopped working on me.

Meanwhile, watching sales on iTunes for movies I'd already purchased on Blu-ray yielded ultimately yielded much less expensive and much more convenient results. Since then, I've sold almost all my Blu-rays, accepted the sunk cost of the licence and the drives, and re-bought just about everything digitally when on sale. Now Apple's started upgrading some of those files to 4K at no extra cost. For my money (literally), it's much better and I wish I'd seen it sooner.

For people who still want the physical hard copy and the totally unencumbered ripped files, Blu-ray is still possible with that much time, effort and money – but there's my quick comparison of the approaches for you.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
A great deal of time, effort and money later, I'd replaced the unreliable optical drive with a second, which also stopped working on me.

One of my two Buffalo Blu-Ray players failed after 7 years, the other still works fine. Replaced the failed Buffalo with an LG. They were a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Meanwhile, watching sales on iTunes for movies I'd already purchased on Blu-ray yielded ultimately yielded much less expensive and much more convenient results.

It also is a matter of compromise, since you lose the DTS-MA lossless audio. There is also the risk that the studio might withdraw the film from iTunes. Can't beat the convenience though.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I hadn't thought about the audio – ripping Blu-rays I tended to choose a lower bitrate than what iTunes provides, so I probably considered the iTunes compression an upgrade as well.

Studio withdrawing is an important consideration too – it's possible some people miss that by not reading the terms. I bet the cost to any company for pulling a product unannounced is high because doing so would incite backlash and complaints. And that said, I believe your downloaded files remain unaffected – you're protected if you're storing them locally, which you'd have to do with Blu-ray imports anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.