Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JNB

macrumors 604
Original poster
I just got a set of used Bogen 3221/Manfrotto 055B legs (that came with a 3063 head, not my first choice) for my Canon xT/350D.

I have some questions:

The head is actually labeled 3160, but that isn't a valid head model number, and the 3063 visually seems to be a match. Which one is this really, and what's with the numeric discrepancy?

It's missing the quick release plate, but the one listed as a replacement (3159) is the hexagonal ,whereas this seems to take a rectangular plate. Which is the correct QR plate for this?

Maybe most importantly, I know that this is a video head by design, and I was looking at something more suited for it. I really like the 322RC2, but how does that hold up with longer lenses? Is there another head more suitable? I'm looking for general use, most anything except sports/action. As far as the glass it has to support, the largest I have now is a 70-200 f/4L, and don't anticipate the need (or budget) for anything significantly longer/heavier--but you never know.

Attachments

• modelcloseup.jpg
    modelcloseup.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 116
  • nearview.jpg
    nearview.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 89

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I just got a set of used Bogen 3221/Manfrotto 055B legs (that came with a 3063 head, not my first choice) for my Canon xT/350D.

I have some questions:

The head is actually labeled 3160, but that isn't a valid head model number, and the 3063 visually seems to be a match. Which one is this really, and what's with the numeric discrepancy?

It's missing the quick release plate, but the one listed as a replacement (3159) is the hexagonal ,whereas this seems to take a rectangular plate. Which is the correct QR plate for this?

Maybe most importantly, I know that this is a video head by design, and I was looking at something more suited for it. I really like the 322RC2, but how does that hold up with longer lenses? Is there another head more suitable? I'm looking for general use, most anything except sports/action. As far as the glass it has to support, the largest I have now is a 70-200 f/4L, and don't anticipate the need (or budget) for anything significantly longer/heavier--but you never know.

I believe that Bogen has different model numbers in Europe. Or maybe I'm just tired and confused. ha

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
BTW, you should be more than fine with the 322RC2. It's on my wishlist as well, to replace the 3030 that I have and hate. Keh.com used to have them $20 cheaper than B&H, around $100, but I don't see them there anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.