Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Hi guys,

I have installed Windows on my MacBook (Mid 2014 Pro) before, and had no problems. I decided to completely wipe my Windows install since I wanted a fresh copy installing, but now when I try to re-install with Boot Camp Asssistant, it reboots, shows the Windows logo, goes black, and restarts into MacOS.

I have tried holding the option key on start-up, and booting to the Boot Camp partition (which obviously doesn't work, since it's a blank partition), and also the EFI boot, which shows the Windows logo, goes black, and restarts into MacOS.

I have also tried wiping my USB drive and going through the whole process again, but this doesn't work either. Is this a bug with Big Sur? I'm running Version 11.1.

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
Is this a bug with Big Sur? I'm running Version 11.1.
No. Doubt it.

I decided to completely wipe my Windows install since I wanted a fresh copy installing, but now when I try to re-install with Boot Camp Asssistant, it reboots, shows the Windows logo, goes black, and restarts into MacOS.
If you wanted to "factory reset" Windows, you should have done it within Windows, using Recovery option to do a Reset, with option to wipe out everything.

You probably just wiped the Windows partition but left the supporting bootcamp partitions there.

The fix:
- Boot into a USB Windows installer and install to Windows partition that was wiped.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
If you wanted to "factory reset" Windows, you should have done it within Windows, using Recovery option to do a Reset, with option to wipe out everything.
Any problems present on your current install are more likely to persist after a "factory reset" within Windows, in comparision to a fresh install. I'm speaking from experience.

Additionally, I was running Windows 10 1809 - which means a "factory reset" would still restore to 1809, requiring me to install over 2 years of Windows updates - no thank you, I'd rather start a fresh with the most recent version.

You probably just wiped the Windows partition but left the supporting bootcamp partitions there.

All Boot Camp partitions were removed, only the MacOS partition remained.

The fix:
- Boot into a USB Windows installer and install to Windows partition that was wiped.

This is not the solution - the same problem occurred when trying this. It is almost certainly a bug introduced with Big Sur, as after 3 or 4 tries, it finally booted to the installer. However, even now that Windows is installed, sometimes after booting to the Windows desktop, the Mac will restart itself once again and boot back into MacOS (seemingly the same behaviour as when trying to install Windows).

It works now, unfortunately it is unreliable.

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
Additionally, I was running Windows 10 1809 - which means a "factory reset" would still restore to 1809, requiring me to install over 2 years of Windows updates - no thank you, I'd rather start a fresh with the most recent version.
You are doing it wrong.

If you download the windows create installation media tool and run that, it will offer to upgrade to latest version available. From there you can do reset this PC - boom!

All Boot Camp partitions were removed, only the MacOS partition remained.
Nah, doubt it from your 1st post. Not clean, you should have used Bootcamp assistant to remove everything clean.

It is almost certainly a bug introduced with Big Sur, as after 3 or 4 tries, it finally booted to the installer. However, even now that Windows is installed, sometimes after booting to the Windows desktop, the Mac will restart itself once again and boot back into MacOS (seemingly the same behaviour as when trying to install Windows).
Nah, this is the mess you did by wiping Windows partition(s) manually instead of using Bootcamp assistant.

It works now, unfortunately it is unreliable.
Oh well, I suspect only a complete redo will get a reliable, stable bootcamp setup.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
If you download the windows create installation media tool and run that, it will offer to upgrade to latest version available. From there you can do reset this PC - boom!
Still does not solve the problem of existing issues still persisting to the "fresh" installation. Almost everyone competent in technology will agree that freshly installing software is the best practice. I have re-installed Windows using this method on multiple Macs (and PCs) in the past, and it has been flawless.

Nah, doubt it from your 1st post. Not clean, you should have used Bootcamp assistant to remove everything clean.
Exactly what I did. I also confirmed that it removed everything by opening Disk Utility and checking there too.

Nah, this is the mess you did by wiping Windows partition(s) manually instead of using Bootcamp assistant.
Again, I used Bootcamp assistant to remove the existing Windows partition. Where in my post did I say I removed them manually?

Clearly you much prefer the act of sounding smart on the internet, rather than actually helping people.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I had my Mac restart into MacOS twice - weeks ago- I made sure Windows was selected in Startup. Haven't run Mac or updated to 11.1, thinking waiting a month or more.

Brand new Intel Mini, Big Sur 11.01 and downloaded ISO from Microsoft which BCA easily used. I was surprised the install initiated automatically on its own.

Reactions: w_aldo

CaoPin

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
Could it be the fault of the boot camp?Because it does not work sometimes.

CaoPin

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
I searched Google for the reason why the Boot Camp Assistant tool does not work, and at the same time Google recommended this to me.
And got a free software called Oracle VirtualBox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.