Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexanoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
My MacBook Pro was upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur a few days ago. And I found it is impossible to create a Windows 10 bootable USB on Big Sur with Boot Camp. When I plugged into an USB drive, Boot Camp asks me to eject the USB to proceed. This is the screenshot:

20210421105417.jpg

I did that and plug the USB again when the error message disappeared. However, there is no way to select the USB drive when Boot Camp asks me to choose a place to install Windows 10

Any alternative workaround to make a Windows 10 USB installer on Big Sur? I need one to fix my broken PC.

Thanks

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
UUByte ISO Editor for Mac is a good alternative to Boot Camp. It can easily make a Windows bootable USB installer on macOS and supports latest Big Sur. Also, it can handle large Windows 10 by default.

However, if you are familiar with text command, you can utilize a combination of commands to get it solved, including, diskutil, wimlib and rsync. These will help you erase USB, split install.wim file and copy Windows ISO files to USB.

mkrizan4

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
UUByte ISO Editor for Mac is a good alternative to Boot Camp. It can easily make a Windows bootable USB installer on macOS and supports latest Big Sur. Also, it can handle large Windows 10 by default.

However, if you are familiar with text command, you can utilize a combination of commands to get it solved, including, diskutil, wimlib and rsync. These will help you erase USB, split install.wim file and copy Windows ISO files to USB.
I'm having the same issue. Rsync doesn't seem to be working.. it gives out an error during Windows installation. UUByte ISO Editor is not free, you need a license to burn a USB with ISO. So, are there any alternatives? The internet is so quiet about this..

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
I'm having the same issue. Rsync doesn't seem to be working.. it gives out an error during Windows installation. UUByte ISO Editor is not free, you need a license to burn a USB with ISO. So, are there any alternatives? The internet is so quiet about this..

what do you mean Rsync is not working? It just copies files from mounted ISO folder to USB drive. You can also try cp command for this purpose. The main trick in here is splitting the install.wim into small pieces so it can sit on a FAT partition that Mac recognizes.

By the way, no free alternative app available as far as I know. However, you can create a windows virtual machine and complete the task in Windows. There would be many more choices out there.

From my past experience, you could come across a bunch of issues when you are working with commands. I spent several hours to sort it out. If you prefer a simple solution, then get a license for ISO Editor, which is a lot easier.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
As suggested, install Windows in a VM.
Download and install the free version of Hasleo's WinToUSB into it.
Connect a USB drive to your VM, and use WinToUSB to install Windows onto it. (The free version will let you install Home and Education, but not Pro).
This works with Win 7, Win 10 and Win 11. You will need the appropriate .iso file downloaded from Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.