Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pandafox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
Ok I know there are many similar posts and I did read them. My situation is quite unique so I have to start a new thread. Thank you in advance.

I have a 2017 iMac w/ 1t fusion drive. I needed Windows and installed Bootcamp, assigning 140G. Windows booted successfully. When I wanted to boot back into MacOS however I couldn't (pressing Option while booting multiple times nothing happened). I googled around and did Command + Option + P + R to reset NVRAM. Now I'm back in MacOS.

So Bootcamp didn't work properly and I wanted it gone. In Bootcamp Assist I clicked on Restore. It said there's an error and this can't be done and I had to check the disk in Recovery mode. I went into Recovery. There's only the Mac partition there and when I ran First Aid, it immediately said operations failed with a red "!", no more information.

Now I'm back in MacOS again and found out that Bootcamp Assist no longer sees the Windows partition. The restore option is gone. In Disk Utilities there's no Windows partition either. diskutil -list gives what's below and there's no such partition. 140G of my storage is just gone! Please, how can I get it back?... Thank you!

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 857.4 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal):
0: GUID_partition_scheme 28.0 GB disk1
1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 27.6 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):
0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD +884.0 GB disk2
Logical Volume on disk1s2, disk0s2
88AB537C-2171-4350-9A0C-466F3DD5A8C6
Unlocked Encrypted Fusion Drive

Agent Moose

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
EDIT: Read this whole post, but the solution that I used is near the bottom! *Use with caution, I may of been lucky.

==============
I too have this same issue, but I lost 100GB of space on mine.

I tried googling an answer, unfortunatly the only thing that came up doesn't want to solve my problem.:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/32088600#32088600

When I try to use the "gdisk" command it says "command not found".

If someone can please answer both our problems, we both would be appreciated!

EDIT: I installed GTP fdisk (I think that's what it is called) and now gdisk /dev/disk1 gives me the error 16.

EDIT2: I decided to try things on my own after google didn't help, but I still don't have a full solution. I now have the 160GB (was 100GB, but testing something so it got bigger) space that wasn't able to be seen under a "Untitled" partition that isn't mounted, thus giving my main partition the full 1TB of my drive...hopefully.

Now the "Untitled" partition says it is 160GB and it is unmounted, but I can't mount it nor delete it or repair it. So it is stuck there. I'm going to google this and see if anything comes up. Hopefully someone on here might be able to answer this weird thing that's going on.

***Solution***
EDIT 3: Yes, there is an Edit three because I just looked at disk utility and the "Untitled" partition that I wasn't able to do anything with is gone! My SSD is now all one partition with all 1TB available. Now, if you read this far, how did I do this?! ANSWER (results may vary, I may of gotten lucky...I don't know aka: use at your own risk):

Situation: If you are like me (or original poster) and deleted the boot camp partition when trying to install windows and then you get the "GTP error" or whatever and then you realize that 100GB or whatever space you allocated to said partition is gone and it doesn't show the partition in the Disk Utility, then try this:

1. Go into Disk Utility and press the Partition button
2. Partition your main HDD/SSD just a little bit (5GB or less will probably do...I did mine 60GB)
3. Partition it as a ExFAT with the name "Untitled"
4. Once partitioned, it will show two partitions under your main HDD.
5. Partition it once again, but instead of creating a partition, delete both the FAT partitions.
6. Once done it might look like just one big partition that can't be mounted, but once I exited disk utility and opened it up again that unmountable partition was gone like magic.

Success! I do hope this can help others in their search if they've had problems.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.