Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I hold Apple+Option+R and boot into repair mode. I have a question about why containers must be unmounted and re-mounted to run Disk Utility on them? I have read, not sure where, that to completely run Disk Utility on a drive in repair mode that I must run on all three items: 1. The manufacturer ID, 2. The Container, 3. The name I gave to the drive.

That's fine, I do it, but I don't understand why running DU on the container the first time always fails. If I unmount the container, then remount the container, then run DU on the container, DU works great.

Why must I unmount then remount the Container on each drive I try to repair?

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
I hold Apple+Option+R and boot into repair mode.

Do you mean Recovery Mode?

It helps if you use the correct terminology, and perhaps more information on the drives you're talking about.

Perhaps more people would respond?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have read, not sure where, that to completely run Disk Utility on a drive in repair mode that I must run on all three items: 1. The manufacturer ID, 2. The Container, 3. The name I gave to the drive.
In Big Sur, run First Aid on volume first, then the container, then the drive–bottom to top.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Ive tried all three ways in different order. Everytime i must mount unmount then remount to be able to repair a container. Why? This is Big Sur

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Ive tried all three ways in different order. Everytime i must mount unmount then remount to be able to repair a container. Why? This is Big Sur
You haven't given any information on the drive(s) you want to repair - make, model etc.

Perhaps the problem lies in the drive?

Perhaps you should check with the manufacturer to ensure you have the latest firmware etc.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
You keep implying this is about repair, its not. Why do i have to mount, unmount and re-mount all containers on all my drives in repair mode to be able to repair (2.) containers? I dont have to go through this to repair the (1.) drive, or the (3.) (Big Sur) named drive.

• Sad
Reactions: Unsupported

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
You keep implying this is about repair, its not. Why do i have to mount, unmount and re-mount all containers on all my drives in repair mode to be able to repair (2.) containers? I dont have to go through this to repair the (1.) drive, or the (3.) (Big Sur) named drive.

If it isn't about repair then what is it about?

I've tried to help but I'm giving up on you.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.