Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Border or No Border?

• Definately border

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Don't need a border

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Both, but most of the time a border

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Both, but most of the time no border

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
For photo's, do you take the time to put your photo into an extra application (e.g. Photoshop) and give it a nice little border? Or do you just upload it as is? (Including any adjustments made)

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
No border. It looks cheesy with that around images. If I want to see a border on my photos, I'll print them out and put a matte around them.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I don't add borders to photos that are part of a group; but I do add them to individual photos being used as part of a web page (much, not all, of the time). However I generally use simple borders that are put in place with CSS rather than modifying the image.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
It really depends on what you're doing and what impression you're trying to achieve. Generally, for webpages, I rarely use borders, but for prints to hang on a wall, I invariably frame them with matts.

For example, all photos had borders back in the 1960's and earlier. As such, if you're trying to reproduce a "period" look (particularly with B&W), then you'll want that on a webpage or whatever:

family1b.jpg

Similarly, sometimes a shot can benefit from sort of added border by creating a contrast:

356in2b.jpg

When you're only spending electrons, it pays to experiment.

-hh

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I voted no.
Partly because I don't have PS and partly because for posting in the POTD thread, it seems like overkill.

I think if I was doing a print or a "showcase" webpage, I would do it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I hate borders. To me, borders cheapens the photo... reminds me of photos that IKEA/Walmart sells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.