Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lee_Meadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
London
Anyone else feel the same? (Of 3rd Party apps)
I got really excited when Watch OS2 was released leading to some awesome apps.
Im not an app developer or anything like that, but thought by now there would be
some better apps out already. Some apps are dire. Deleted straight away.
I regularly try and keep up with "Whats new" on the app store, but pretty disappointed really.

Anyone found any hidden gems and whats your views?

Lee
(City Mapper, Twitter, One Football and Natwest have made my watch so far)

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yet another one of the "I'm bored with my iDevice" threads. The culprit is almost always attempting to treat it as a hobby. It's only a tool.

Additionally, many members hardly use AW apps at all, instead relying on complications and glances.

Reactions: Armen

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
It's time to forget about the Watch as an app platform, and start thinking about it simply as a superior digital watch/fitness tracker. There hasn't been a third party app yet worth a ****.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I am only on my 4th or 5th day of ownership, and I was a big naysayer of the watch at first, so honestly I did not have high expectations, or at least not unrealistic ones. I knew that the watch would likely go mostly unnoticed. I have used it for mostly message notifications and my to do list (Things) plus obviously the time. When work starts again (I am a teacher), I will use the stopwatch often. Those things along with being a nice looking watch make it worth while. I think quick, short looks are where this thing will shine. Add too much and that will not be possible. You are supposed to get bored with it, because as said above, it is a tool, and the best tools are boring because they just get their job done and go away.

Reactions: Lee_Meadows

Lee_Meadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
London
I agree totally to both.
Also must add that you need decent apps for glances and complications. So from a tool point of view these are pretty important.
The carrot weather app is great for those features alone.
Maybe it is a tool. But doesn't mean you can't enjoy or get the most out of that tool?
Everyone has the watch for different reasons.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't understand people's "bored" threads. It's a watch. It tells the time and shows you notifications. This isn't a Nintendo DS to entertain you.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yet another one of the "I'm bored with my iDevice" threads. The culprit is almost always attempting to treat it as a hobby. It's only a tool.

Additionally, many members hardly use AW apps at all, instead relying on complications and glances.

The only 3rd party app I have installed is called "battery monitor". Often times my iPhone is charging in the bedroom but I have my watch on so I can check at a glance what my iPhone's battery level is at.

Lee_Meadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
London
I am a tap dancer/choreographer. Being able to pause and play music from somewhere else in the room is priceless! A great example of another use rather than just glancing. (Which also is awesome)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't understand people's "bored" threads. It's a watch. It tells the time and shows you notifications. This isn't a Nintendo DS to entertain you.

I know many of the fan boys will jump on me but Apple touted the watch as way for developers to really shine and produce some great apps. It has not happened and I doubt it will. Developers have avoided the AW like the red headed step child. There is no incentive for developers, no money no apps.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I know many of the fan boys will jump on me but Apple touted the watch as way for developers to really shine and produce some great apps. It has not happened and I doubt it will. Developers have avoided the AW like the red headed step child. There is no incentive for developers, no money no apps.

It doesn't really matter because we do run into members who are "bored" with the iPhone even with the current app offerings, as a result of attempting to treat it as their sole hobby.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Lee_Meadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
London
I think the thread has gone off topic a little. As Jay said earlier, some people have the watch as a hobby. I don't. I am kind of on the line of Newton above. The QUALITY and what was is available at the moment is disappointing. Especially with the native apps.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I think the thread has gone off topic a little. As Jay said earlier, some people have the watch as a hobby. I don't. I am kind of on the line of Newton above. The QUALITY and what was is available at the moment is disappointing. Especially with the native apps.

That doesn't reconcile with you being "bored" with them. What do you expect them to do for you?

Lee_Meadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
London
So you read the title then commented before reading the first post?
If you'd have read my post, it was pretty clear I'm not looking for a DS or PS4 on my wrist. But waiting (still) for some cool little apps that are reliable. Awesome little apps like "Battery Monitor" that was mentioned earlier. I use that ALOT.
I thought there would've been more out by now. Especially with the OS2.
Don't get me wrong. I love the watch. Use it daily. Just waiting for the little gems to emerge.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Lee_Meadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
London
I need to get on the home kits. They look awesome. Might get on it soon. Can Siri work your HomeKit from your wrist? That's quite complicated.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If you'd have read my post, it was pretty clear I'm not looking for a DS or PS4 on my wrist. But waiting (still) for some cool little apps that are reliable. Awesome little apps like "Battery Monitor" that was mentioned earlier. I use that ALOT.
Don't get me wrong. I love the watch. Use it daily. Just waiting for the little gems to emerge.

You used the wrong term then. Disappointed yes. Bored has a totally different meaning.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The AW is a toy compared to the iPhone.

Certainly more versatile than a standard watch but not worth the cost of ownership unless you can buy on the cheap.

Perhaps its only true value is fitness related. But there are better and cheaper options.

For me Apple has yet to clearly delineate the value add of iWatch over competitors.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Here. It's just a screenshot, but install it as a watch face so you can see if it's worth running Logic Pro on your watch.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451861700.560594.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueMoon63

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I don't take the "bored" statements so literally. :) the Apple Watch has proven to be better than expected to me and I use several apps daily and they all load fast. Not really searching for better ones or in need. Though I am not sure what would change my mind.

There could be 7-10mm Apple watches out in the wild now and maybe 800mm iPhones?? My guess is developers won't give as much effort to the AW for apps yet when it may represent 1% of the market.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

The Apple watch is a self contained device. It really does not require 3rd party apps to complete its purpose. I don't know if you've noticed or not but most 3rd party apps just mimic the native apps. I guess developers don't have much imagination for the platform. Don't get me wrong I've seen a watch app to control a drop with gestures or a an app you can tap the watch to calculate BPM but beyond that most 3rd party apps are drab and boring.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Maybe the AW2 will offer improved hardware allowing the developers more to work with.

I would love to see a fully comprehensive health app that would do more than just store store the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.