Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

screene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2018
the bottom of my iphone 7 plus (the part where the home button is located) heats up whenever the brightness is turned up past halfway. What could be causing this?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
the bottom of my iphone 7 plus (the part where the home button is located) heats up whenever the brightness is turned up past halfway. What could be causing this?

The LED lighting is not 100% efficient and makes lots of heat in the process of making light.

It is OK for your device to get warm, it is the only way it can shed heat.

Reactions: chabig

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I would question your interpretation of ‘Heats’ up? Are you specifically referring to max brightness or slightly passed the halfway mark?

westislander

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Yeah that doesn't sound normal. How long after the brightness reaches the halfway mark or higher does it become hot? Every iPhone I've owned has had auto-brightness enabled and I've never noticed any heat build up in the area you described at any point after the halfway mark. I currently have an 8 Plus.

screene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah that doesn't sound normal. How long after the brightness reaches the halfway mark or higher does it become hot? Every iPhone I've owned has had auto-brightness enabled and I've never noticed any heat build up in the area you described at any point after the halfway mark. I currently have an 8 Plus.
Less than 2 minutes.

Do you think there could be something wrong with the screen?

screene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2018
While the brightness is past haf, what are you doing with the phone. Is it idle or are you doing something?
I’m doing basic stuff like checking my social media apps and/or streaming music. The area doesn’t heat up when the phone is asleep.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
The bottom just above the home button all along the bottom of the screen is where the LED’s are positioned on the 7’s. Normal for it to get warm there with higher brightness. My 6 used to warm up on the top. They had the LED’s on the top that generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.