Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

River Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
Hi,

I bought a -"perfect condition"- 13" Late 2013 rMBP on eBay and found this small greyish/white dot made of a group of very bright pixels, right on the left side of the screen. Though it's rather small, it's specially noticeable when scrolling up or down, becoming pretty annoying. Please check it out in the pic (the arrow points at it):

HtVxble.jpg

Are these dead or stuck pixels?

I'm quite disappointed about it. Thanks for your help.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Hi,

I bought a -"perfect condition"- 13" Late 2013 rMBP on eBay and found this small greyish/white dot made of a group of very bright pixels, right on the left side of the screen. Though it's rather small, it's specially noticeable when scrolling up or down, becoming pretty annoying. Please check it out in the pic (the arrow points at it):

HtVxble.jpg

Are these dead or stuck pixels?

I'm quite disappointed about it. Thanks for your help.

These are neither dead or stuck. I'm afraid spots like those wont't go away, at least in my experience.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
There are several reasons why those spots occur, but typically they're caused by pressure on the screen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I bought a -"perfect condition"- 13" Late 2013 rMBP
I would contact the seller about your perfect condition laptop not being perfect. You may have to open up a dispute via eBay/Paypal if reaching out to him was not satisfactory.

I was in the market for new (used) phones and I was checking out swappa. I have to say that many of the ones that were categorized as mint looked a bit marked up on the images that were posted. My point in mentioning that here, is that people seem to take liberties with the work mint or perfect to sell an item.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Goodness, would you look at that.
Poor little pixels have lost their way!

Not much you can do about it, sadly.

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
Contact the seller. Ebay is very good at resolving disputes when an item is not as described. They almost always side with the buyer. As stated earlier, these types of marks are usually from pressure issues and don't go away.

River Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
Thank you all for your replies.

One last question: the Mac is covered by the Applecare warranty. Do you think this would be covered by it?

Thanks!

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
I am not sure. I remember I had a 2009 MBP that had that stupid burn in circle thing happen near the logo in 2012. It was a discolored pattern in the middle that you could only see on black backgrounds. I took it to the apple store and it was covered under apple care. They replaced the screen, but it just did the same thing again six months later. I wouldn't keep this computer if it already needs an apple care replacement unless you got a REALLY good deal. This could be signs of other things that are outside normal wear and tear.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Thank you all for your replies.

One last question: the Mac is covered by the Applecare warranty. Do you think this would be covered by it?

Thanks!

Just go straight to the seller. If you want to keep it you could try negotiating a partial refund.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I just had this issue in my 2013 Macbook Air. Thankfully, it still hasl a few months of AppleCare, so they replaced the LCD (inc. display housing) and now the laptop not only has a new screen but also looks like new with no dents or scratched on the outside!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.