Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techcompaniesallsuck!

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
Bay Area
I recently had a bad-luck cluster in myt life, including my 2010 Mac Pro finally giving up. The repair would cost more so I went on the Bay and found a nice 2018 with 512gb SSD abd 32GB RAM, more than I've ever had.

The bad-luck cluster also included a second back surgery (successful). So I was laid up in bed and the mini was better than using my iPhone for everything (which I did for about two months). The computer came with Big Sur, which I dislike.

Any way to step back to Mojave? You can ridicule me if you want.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW

I know it may be a bit harder, but I recommend the terminal approach on page two of that article. Although, I have done both methods.

Also, enjoy the mini, it is a great system!

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
I recently had a bad-luck cluster in myt life, including my 2010 Mac Pro finally giving up. The repair would cost more so I went on the Bay and found a nice 2018 with 512gb SSD abd 32GB RAM, more than I've ever had.

The bad-luck cluster also included a second back surgery (successful). So I was laid up in bed and the mini was better than using my iPhone for everything (which I did for about two months). The computer came with Big Sur, which I dislike.

Any way to step back to Mojave? You can ridicule me if you want.
You can use Restore to install Mojave I believe:
  • On an Intel-based Mac that previously used macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, you can use Shift-Option-Command-R at startup to install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
There's a very long thread about Mojave crashing on the 2018 Mini. This may have been resolved, but it's complicated, so you might spend awhile reading through posts here before downgrading to Mojave

Catalina has been working very well on my 2018 Mini, why do you want Mojave? For 32-bit apps? I run my old 32-bit apps in Mountain Lion and Sierra virtual machines on my Mini and they work perfectly. Most of my old apps would NOT run in Mojave anyway.

BTW... if you're "old" then I must be "ancient". ;)

Techcompaniesallsuck!

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
Bay Area
There's a very long thread about Mojave crashing on the 2018 Mini. This may have been resolved, but it's complicated, so you might spend awhile reading through posts here before downgrading to Mojave

Catalina has been working very well on my 2018 Mini, why do you want Mojave? For 32-bit apps? I run my old 32-bit apps in Mountain Lion and Sierra virtual machines on my Mini and they work perfectly. Most of my old apps would NOT run in Mojave anyway.

Well, 67 here.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
My 2010 Mac Pro is still going strong, however the age pushed me to buy a new mini with the same spec as yours back around May of last year. Just to reassure you that these are pretty good for most general usage and my Mac Pro is sitting unused most of the time now.

Mine actually came with Catalina installed and I don't think it can go back to Mojave. FWIW I think Mojave was the best Mac OS ever released, being very stable, while retaining compatibility with older 32-bit apps. The downside is that it will only receive security updates for a few more months until the next OS ships if Apple follows their usual practices. For that reason I would be hesitant to go backwards.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Steve is still younger than me, I'm 71 with 72 fast approaching. :eek:

Back on topic, I got an i7/64gb/2tb 2018 Mini last summer and love it. Has been completely trouble-free and does everything I need. It's replaced three different computers with virtual machines - my old Windows PC and two Macs with legacy software. Catalina was pre-installed and has been very stable. Personally, I think it's a bad idea to downgrade to Mojave unless you have a good reason to do so.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have a 2018 Mini that still runs fine on Mojave, and will proceed "no further" than that (I still use lots of 32 bit software).

The first thing you'll want to do is BACK UP anything important on the Mini as it is now.
I'd suggest CarbonCopyCloner, which is FREE to download and use for 30 days.
It will create a backup that is "finder-mountable" -- just connect and use it as you would use any other external drive.

There's a special key combination you can use with internet recovery:
shift option command R

This is supposed to install the original OS that shipped with the particular Mac you have. The 2018 originally shipped with Mojave. So, I'd try that.

If you're connected via wifi, you'll also need your wifi password.
(ethernet -- no password necessary)

It will take a little while for the internet utilities to load.

When you get to the finder, open disk utility.
IMPORTANT: go to the view menu and choose "show all devices".
Look at the list on the left.
The "topmost" line is the physical drive inside the Mini.
Click on it to select it, then choose "erase".
Erase to "APFS with GUID partition format".

When the erase is done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer.
Begin "clicking through".
Be aware that the Mini may reboot one or more times.
The screen may go dark for several minutes.
BE PATIENT.

When the install is done, you should see the initial setup screen ("choose your language"). Begin "clicking through" the setup process.

When setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate data from another volume, you can TRY this:
Connect the backup and see if setup assistant will recognize it and offer you the option to migrate some data from it.

BE AWARE:
Setup assistant MAY NOT WORK because you're migrating from a volume that has a "newer version" of the OS than the drive to which you're attempting to migrate.

If setup assistant won't cooperate, there are "other ways".
We can discuss them in another post.
For now, just finish creating the account with a username, password, etc.

Techcompaniesallsuck!

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
Bay Area

Speak up, sonny, my hearing ain't so good. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.