Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brewcityriot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
So.
I often browse online selling platforms for damaged computers to repair. I’m usually a pc guy but I’ve always wanted to get into the Mac world!
Anyway.
Found a MacBook for $60! With “just a damaged glass screen”. So I met the guy made sure no one was logged into it and it was clean. Just busted glass which I ordered on amazon. Well.. I get it home and to my surprise start realizing that the WiFi, Bluetooth and USB ports are all not working. There’s a “usb disabled draws to much power” thing. And there isn’t even a WiFi option in network preferences.
I’m assuming the WiFi/Bluetooth was damaged when it was dropped. Are there things I could do to resurrect this?
It’s no big deal.. I just hate walking away from any machine.

Oh also I keep trying the smc reset and it just turns on instead of the charger changing colors

Well.. let’s talk!!

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Yes you should always consider what else was broken when a device has experienced some visible trauma. It must've been dropped/hit/crushed pretty hard to smash the screen up, which undoubtedly will affect other components.

Short answer is a new logic board, as you say several aspects aren't working I would imagine there is an issue with either a controller or on the circuit itself.

Long answer is to open it up, and start looking with a keen eye. Then start replacing things one by one. Be prepared for endless trials and errors and having a disassembled computer on the side for several months before you give up and throw it in the bin. Although things could be relatively simple, it really depends on how much you know about electronics. For instance the WiFi/Bluetooth could just be linked to the smashed screen (The antenna runs around it), the USB could be simply a busted port or I believe those modules all use the same controller, so again could be relatively simple. But you could do all this and then one more step along, and find something else not working... Either way, first thing is to strip it down and have a good luck for damage on the logic board. If you find anything worrisome, I would consider stripping the computer for parts and trying to make your money back, unless you were looking for a new hobby.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.