Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mag2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
I am new to the dslr world. what are some good tips on getting started. any websites I can go to for advice. Also is there anything elseI need to buy?
Thank in advanced.:D

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
After a hot day, or a cold one, of shooting you will need to wash your clothes. I have a washer and dryer for sale, work like new. And, some new beautiful vinyl flooring that would be perfect for a darkroom floor:rolleyes:

One interesting site that I like is kenrockwell.com. Seems to be realistic.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
After a hot day, or a cold one, of shooting you will need to wash your clothes. I have a washer and dryer for sale, work like new. And, some new beautiful vinyl flooring that would be perfect for a darkroom floor:rolleyes:

One interesting site that I like is kenrockwell.com. Seems to be realistic.

Ken Rockwell? Really? Each to their own, I guess.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
IAlso is there anything elseI need to buy?

Beyond the basics, you don't know what you really need till you've taken a few hundred pictures. Why anticipate? Keep shooting with the gear you have until you reach the point of frustration: ie "I could get the shots I want if only I had a new lens, or a flashgun, or a tripod"...

Don't spend money on things you MIGHT need; wait until you can't do without them...

Shoot loads of pix. Experiment. Have fun... :)

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
is there anything else I need to buy?:D
Now that is a very scary open ended question. Best advice I'll reinforce... shoot a ton of pictures and figure out what you are really missing, then buy it. Lenses and gear don't hold much value although they can last forever, so make sure you spend money on things you'll actually use. The first ad on accessory I bought was a shoulder bag, then more memory, then an extra battery, then a car charger and more memory, then another lens, then a monopod, then more memory, then another lens, then a manfrotto ball head, and another lens... welcome to the dSLR world!:D

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Don't spend money on things you MIGHT need; wait until you can't do without them...

How I wish somebody had said that to me when I bought my dSLR last year.

But it is very good advice, otherwise you'll find you can't help buying things for it, just because it seems like a good idea.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
a manfrotto lightweight monopod will help for some types of pics, but you may not be able to use it very often if it's for casual shooting

skip the filters for now

I use a wrist strap instead of the neck strap (P.O.S.), or shoot strapless

a fairly large fanny pack from Walmart or Kmart would be helpful

We use Lowepro & Tamron Expedition bags to transport our equipment when moving locations, but they can get a bit pricey. I LOVE the Expedition 7 & 8, but that's for much later.

If you are willing to take the time to learn how to use it, I'd recommend an SB-600 & Stofen Omnibounce. Will help tremendously for shooting in lower light. (the on camera flash is fine though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.