Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
I was really wanting to get the 105mm Micro VR, but it was just out of my price range.

I went to the local photo place to look at it in person. I also looked at the Sigma 10-50mm, but wasn't that impressed. They showed me the 60mm, but it was still $650.

Luck would have it though, they had a used one, $475, and it was in perfect shape (not a scratch on it, all the stuff was still in the box, just like new). I couldn't resist (plus I had a set budget of $500, which the Sigma fell into).

I don't know how to take pics properly yet (though I'm buying lenses like I do, I know, I'm dumb, leave me alone :) ), but I took a few to see what it can do.

Now, I don't know the technical term for it, but when I get really close to an object/subject, only the middle of the picture is sharp, the rest is blurry (narrow depth of field?), so thats what you will see in the pics I took. I will mess with it more when I have the time this weekend, I will try to take some outdoor shots.

http://homepage.mac.com/mitul316/.Pictures/DSC_2844.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/mitul316/.Pictures/DSC_2895.JPG

Picture one is obvious, picture two is a close up of my pants (why? I dunno). Both were hand held and manually focused.

Any tips on taking macros?

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
The Nikkor 60mm f2.8 is a great lens, takes some good portraits too, i had one ages ago, but sold it, now i'm looking again for a close up lens and was thinking about another 60mm or get the tokina 100mm, a friend of mine uses a 60mm with his d2x taking pictures of wild flowers and his results are great.

:D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a Nikon macro lens that dates from the 1960's. It's still a great lens. Yes, I have to manually focus it but that's the way macro works even with an AF lens. You can control the depth of field with the aperture. Many macros are shot at around f/16. You can also adjust the angle so the view is more flat on. Good to have a tripod so you can make these kinds of fine adjustments. Have fun. I like the watch picture

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.