Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi All,

I bought a used Macbook Pro and noticed that there is an extra icon in "System Preferences" called "Profiles". Looks like some Enterprise IT Management settings (SSL certificate, VPN connections, energy saver settings, etc.). Do you know how to get rid of these? The '-' button is greyed out. I tried to create an El Capitan USB disk, then booted into it, then formatted the SSD (repartition), then re-installed OS X El Capitan and to my surprise, one of the options in the "new Mac startup wizard" was "Configuration Available: This Mac will be configured automatically by ______ Inc.".

Do I have to create a new El Capitan USB install disk using another non-managed Mac? Maybe my El Capitan USB drive is "tainted" since I used this managed Mac to make it? Please help! Thank you.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi All,

I bought a used Macbook Pro and noticed that there is an extra icon in "System Preferences" called "Profiles". Looks like some Enterprise IT Management settings (SSL certificate, VPN connections, energy saver settings, etc.). Do you know how to get rid of these? The '-' button is greyed out. I tried to create an El Capitan USB disk, then booted into it, then formatted the SSD (repartition), then re-installed OS X El Capitan and to my surprise, one of the options in the "new Mac startup wizard" was "Configuration Available: This Mac will be configured automatically by ______ Inc.".

Do I have to create a new El Capitan USB install disk using another non-managed Mac? Maybe my El Capitan USB drive is "tainted" since I used this managed Mac to make it? Please help! Thank you.
That the profiles are installed makes me strongly suspicious you bought a stolen computer. It's picking that configuration information up because the computer is enrolled in an Apple Deployment Program which is administered by the company described in the profile. If the computer had been sold, it would have been unenrolled.

Reactions: Erdbeertorte

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
That the profiles are installed makes me strongly suspicious you bought a stolen computer. It's picking that configuration information up because the computer is enrolled in an Apple Deployment Program which is administered by the company described in the profile. If the computer had been sold, it would have been unenrolled.

While that is entirely possible, my question is that is there a way to remove these? A fresh El Capitan install did not seem to do it. Thank you.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
While that is entirely possible, my question is that is there a way to remove these? A fresh El Capitan install did not seem to do it. Thank you.

During the fresh install the machine talks to Apple and then is told by Apple it is in the program, the only way is to un-enroll from the program and then reinstall AFAIK.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I got that icon after downloading and installing the iOS 9.3 Developer Beta Profile on my Mac. It disappears when you delete every profile in it.

But you should always wipe the disk on a used Mac and install OS X again.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If the machine is indeed registered in the Device Enrolment Program, don't forget that the administrators of that company can see and access your computer. If this is stolen goods, they WILL find you. It is in your best interest to clarify this question with the seller immediately.

Reactions: Erdbeertorte

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was able to get the "Profiles" off by doing a fresh OS X El Capitan install and NOT connecting to the internet in the "Initial Setup Wizard". However, I do still get the prompts to "install customizations from Company A" every few minutes. I am in talks with the seller now on how to resolve this, we are contacting the company in question to see if this is just a simple oversight (their IT department forgot to unregister this serial in DEP after it was sold, etc.).

Question, if this is just an oversight, and their IT Department ends up unregistering the serial number from DEP, I assume I won't have to do anything, and will simply just stop getting those periodical prompts to "install customizations"?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Question, if this is just an oversight, and their IT Department ends up unregistering the serial number from DEP, I assume I won't have to do anything, and will simply just stop getting those periodical prompts to "install customizations"?

In principle yes, but I would recommend you to do a complete clean install after that to make sure that no nasty surprises have been left behind. As of now, other people basically have unlimited access to your computer. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
In principle yes, but I would recommend you to do a complete clean install after that to make sure that no nasty surprises have been left behind. As of now, other people basically have unlimited access to your computer. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

OK thanks, hopefully things work out!

samirnyc

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2016
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was able to get the "Profiles" off by doing a fresh OS X El Capitan install and NOT connecting to the internet in the "Initial Setup Wizard". However, I do still get the prompts to "install customizations from Company A" every few minutes. I am in talks with the seller now on how to resolve this, we are contacting the company in question to see if this is just a simple oversight (their IT department forgot to unregister this serial in DEP after it was sold, etc.).

[doublepost=1454273130][/doublepost]hellfire88, I just came across this thread and was hoping you may be able to help me. I have a very similar situation as yours. I kept getting these notifications on a 2015 MBP Retina that I bought a week ago. I dismissed them but they were annoying me so I finally just accepted and installed whatever the notification was about. I remember it saying something about "the administrator customizing or optimizing my system. I also noticed a company name as you did. I also couldn't remove the profile because the - was not highlighted. Well, 10 minutes later the computer powered down on it's own and when I try to reboot it asks for a 6 digit code. The seller never set a code he says. Going into Recovery mode doesn't work either, instead I get prompted to enter a firmware password, which the seller knows nothing about as well. He claims he bought the MBP off eBay in June of 2015. I asked him to produce documentation of that transaction from eBay or paypal and the sellers info. This just happened so I don't know what he will come up with. I feel pretty stupid having installed that software but I'm still hopeful that there's a way out. Were you locked out to the degree that I am currently locked out? Any input from anyone on here is welcomed. Thanks

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
[doublepost=1454273130][/doublepost]hellfire88, I just came across this thread and was hoping you may be able to help me. I have a very similar situation as yours. I kept getting these notifications on a 2015 MBP Retina that I bought a week ago. I dismissed them but they were annoying me so I finally just accepted and installed whatever the notification was about. I remember it saying something about "the administrator customizing or optimizing my system. I also noticed a company name as you did. I also couldn't remove the profile because the - was not highlighted. Well, 10 minutes later the computer powered down on it's own and when I try to reboot it asks for a 6 digit code. The seller never set a code he says. Going into Recovery mode doesn't work either, instead I get prompted to enter a firmware password, which the seller knows nothing about as well. He claims he bought the MBP off eBay in June of 2015. I asked him to produce documentation of that transaction from eBay or paypal and the sellers info. This just happened so I don't know what he will come up with. I feel pretty stupid having installed that software but I'm still hopeful that there's a way out. Were you locked out to the degree that I am currently locked out? Any input from anyone on here is welcomed. Thanks

I'd contact the company in question. It is very likely that the computer was stolen. If you have the name/contact of the person you bought it from, keep it — it will come in handy if the matter goes to the police. Good luck!

samirnyc

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2016
I'd contact the company in question. It is very likely that the computer was stolen. If you have the name/contact of the person you bought it from, keep it — it will come in handy if the matter goes to the police. Good luck!
Thanks leman, I didn't take down the firms name unfortunately. Would Apple return the unit on my behalf if I turned it in you think? I have the sellers info, I actually did a little research and have a lot of info on him. Funny thing is, there's an identical ad posted on CL and I bet it's the same guy. The computer posted is slightly different but same exact wording, same area etc. It smells like organized crime. I doubt the cops would even care if I brought this information to them.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks leman, I didn't take down the firms name unfortunately. Would Apple return the unit on my behalf if I turned it in you think? I have the sellers info, I actually did a little research and have a lot of info on him. Funny thing is, there's an identical ad posted on CL and I bet it's the same guy. The computer posted is slightly different but same exact wording, same area etc. It smells like organized crime. I doubt the cops would even care if I brought this information to them.

I assume you are in USA. I certainly don't know how the legal system works there but from my european perspective it is a bit weird to hear that police would not be interested in a theft of that magnitude :) Anyway, if the company has installed a profile on your computer, it means that they probably have unrestricted access to it. It might even be that they have already provided the police with your IP, location, photo, etc. I think its in your best interest to be proactive here. And yes, Apple might be able to help.

P.S. OF course, it might all be a harmless case of some company selling their hardware stock and forgetting to unenroll the computers. I'd rather make it sound dramatic, because folks have already gotten into trouble because of similar cases.

samirnyc

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2016
Leman, I considered the second option, but would the computer lock me out like this if it wasn't initiated by the company? Probably not. The cpu also had a very low battery cycle count, hardly used at all even though it was purchased 6 months ago. Local police refers you to the FBI for any crimes that involve the internet. Things are different here ;) I'm german myself and am in disbelief sometimes the way things are handled here.

samirnyc

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2016
I assume you are in USA. I certainly don't know how the legal system works there but from my european perspective it is a bit weird to hear that police would not be interested in a theft of that magnitude :) Anyway, if the company has installed a profile on your computer, it means that they probably have unrestricted access to it. It might even be that they have already provided the police with your IP, location, photo, etc. I think its in your best interest to be proactive here. And yes, Apple might be able to help.

P.S. OF course, it might all be a harmless case of some company selling their hardware stock and forgetting to unenroll the computers. I'd rather make it sound dramatic, because folks have already gotten into trouble because of similar cases.
leman, have you ever heard of malware that would lock a computer? Just a thought...Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.