Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
I got the new Abyss Blue Braided Solo Loop a few days ago and I was so pleased with it that I wanted to also get the Charcoal version from last year.

I've just taken the Charcoal out of the box, and to my surprise it's actually a different length. It doesn't look like much in the picture but when wearing it the brand new Charcoal band is significantly looser on my wrist. This is despite wearing the Abyss Blue for a couple of days.

Has anyone else experienced this? I think I might return it and see if I can get one size smaller in the Charcoal. Although that might be difficult as it seems like Charcoal is now discontinued and most stores are out of stock.

Picture:
Left - 40mm Charcoal Braided Solo Loop, Size 5
Right - 41mm Abyss Blue Braided Solo Loop, Size 5

IMG_4167.JPG

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
That’s a little crazy. Would the 40 vs. 41 have something to do with the sizes from one model year to the next?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
That’s a little crazy. Would the 40 vs. 41 have something to do with the sizes from one model year to the next?

I think that's exactly it. A size 5 40mm band on a series 6 should fit exactly the same as a size 5 41mm band on a series 7. Problem is that OP has sized themselves up with a 41mm band on a series 6 (or earlier) and so the older bands are "oversized".

Reactions: neiltc13

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
That makes the shopping crazy since an older watch has a smaller build. It will be interesting to see how my Solo loop for my Series 6 fits the 7.
I do LOVE the solo loop though - it’s so comfortable and no fuss to put on.

Reactions: twanj

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Update on this, I returned both bands to the store and got a replacement size 4 in both colours. Once again there's a definite size difference between the two bands and last year's is noticeably longer.

I think @nicho is right, they must have changed the sizes due to the new case size. But they don't seem to have updated the printable size guide, the rubber size guide they have in the store or the try-on bands in the store. They all wanted me to get a size 6, which is 2 sizes bigger than what I've eventually settled on.

• Wow
Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
That makes the shopping crazy since an older watch has a smaller build. It will be interesting to see how my Solo loop for my Series 6 fits the 7.
I do LOVE the solo loop though - it’s so comfortable and no fuss to put on.
Yeh.

Wonder if a S6 braided size 8 will still be ok on a S7.

Or if I'm still the same size with an S7 braided.

Guess we'll see soon!

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
Here is my launch date charcoal braided solo loop vs my AWS7 launch date abyss blue braided solo loop that I got yesterday. I assumed that the charcoal had stretched out slightly since I've been wearing it a lot, but you're telling me that Apple instead shrunk the sizes... crazy!

Braided Solo Loop stretch.jpg

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a place to buy the charcoal now? when Apple stopped selling it?
Me too. Apple had a hidden (only findable via Google) S6 40/44mm page with the Charcoal on. But now most sizes all sold out. I need a 44mm size 7 charcoal (size 8 too big, despite band measure thing saying I should be :rolleyes:).

Why have Apple not got black/charcoal/graphite (or whatever they choose to call 'black' this year/season!) S7 41/45mm straps, in their Braided Solo Loop and/or Solo Loop?

It's completely incongruous for Apple to sell me a Space Black Titanium 45mm watch (because they failed to make a black or near black Aluminium edition, and I don't like the shiny Stainless Steel ones!), then fail to offer any dark colour loop straps (braided or plain). I don't like buckles, as they dig into my wrist when typing all day. Just weird.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
However(!)...

While you cannot currently order most of the "Charcoal Braided Solo Loop" sizes, you can seemingly order it with a watch via the Studio:

I'm guessing here, that they're awaiting re-stock of the Charcoal straps given the 3-4 week order delay when getting one with a watch. Here's hoping! :)

Last edited:

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2015
I wish i could get the charcoal braided solo loop for my Space Black Stainless Apple Watch :(

matheuskoproski

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2023
I got the new Abyss Blue Braided Solo Loop a few days ago and I was so pleased with it that I wanted to also get the Charcoal version from last year.

I've just taken the Charcoal out of the box, and to my surprise it's actually a different length. It doesn't look like much in the picture but when wearing it the brand new Charcoal band is significantly looser on my wrist. This is despite wearing the Abyss Blue for a couple of days.

Has anyone else experienced this? I think I might return it and see if I can get one size smaller in the Charcoal. Although that might be difficult as it seems like Charcoal is now discontinued and most stores are out of stock.

Picture:
Left - 40mm Charcoal Braided Solo Loop, Size 5
Right - 41mm Abyss Blue Braided Solo Loop, Size 5

View attachment 1859076
Hi! How many centimeters your wrist measures that you got size 5? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.