Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

certifiedlovergirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
I just checked the serial no. on my brand new iPhone 12 pro and it does start with an "F" indicating that it is refurbished based on this info:

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 2.54.27 PM.png

Is the information below accurate? Does anyone else have the same indicator letter or am I being too nitpicky..

Thanks for the help!

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
My serial number begins with an F as well. Not to concerned since I received it on launch day and I doubt they have any refurbished phones yet anyway.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Are you guys talking about the serial number starting with F? or the Model number? If it's the model number F that's refurbished. But a serial number starting with F is a factory, there is F1, F2, FK, those are Foxconn.

I have a serial number starting with G. Brand new out of the box and the screen show you are showing is actually the Model Part number code and not the serial number.

certifiedlovergirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
Are you guys talking about the serial number starting with F? or the Model number? If it's the model number F that's refurbished. But a serial number starting with F is a factory, there is F1, F2, FK, those are Foxconn.

I have a serial number starting with G. Brand new out of the box and the screen show you are showing is actually the Model Part number code and not the serial number.
this one right here: serial number F-----
Edit: youre right actually, i believe it has something to do with model number as indication and NOT serial number. Thank you for your clarification!
IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
this one right here: serial number F----- View attachment 985012
Yea that's not a refurbish phone and you did not get a refurbished phone. When you do warranty replacement, the Model number will be N instead of M.

That serial number does not indicate that it's a refurbish. As I mention F1, F2, FK is a code name for the factory in China that makes the phone.

IF you did a personalized item, then the model number will be P. If you purchased something from the certified refurbished store then the model number will be F. Model M will indicate it's a unit with a retail box.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Mine starts with a D. I think that image refers to the model number.
Correct, that image refers to the Model Number which is completely different than the serial number and the serial number tells nothing that it's a refurbished. Only the model number does.

Reactions: JeepGC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.