Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billp5180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
I want to get an iPhone 7 Plus through the Upgrade program. I want the Verizon model with CDMA because I plan to doing extended international travel. Apple tells me that by "Apple policy" I cannot signup for an iPhone 7 without having an existing account with one of the providers (except T-Mobile). I have an iPhone 6 Plus with AT&T as my provider. If I upgrade using my AT&T account, I am told I have to get the CDMA illiterate AT&T iPhone7 model. (They also give you the AT&T model if you sign up for T-mobil.) Any suggestions on getting around this policy without changing phone numbers, disrupting cell service, or having to have two cell phones/accounts for a transition period?

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
He has to activate on a phone number. Once it's activated on that carrier all you have to do is use a sim from a different carrier and it would work perfectly. Did that a couple of times last year with the 6s+. Of course it supported both cdma and GSM though.

Ask this guy, he's done it a few times.

Me, I switched networks.

billp5180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
Europe. I understand that CDMA is prevalent there. I just want the flexibility.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

CDMA is almost non-existent in Europe, they developed GSM. Your best bet is to just buy verizon model outright, or you have to take your chance convincing a salesperson to do it. A few people have said they have done it, quite a few haven't been able too.

Reactions: ohio.emt

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
I want to get an iPhone 7 Plus through the Upgrade program. I want the Verizon model with CDMA because I plan to doing extended international travel. Apple tells me that by "Apple policy" I cannot signup for an iPhone 7 without having an existing account with one of the providers (except T-Mobile). I have an iPhone 6 Plus with AT&T as my provider. If I upgrade using my AT&T account, I am told I have to get the CDMA illiterate AT&T iPhone7 model. (They also give you the AT&T model if you sign up for T-mobil.) Any suggestions on getting around this policy without changing phone numbers, disrupting cell service, or having to have two cell phones/accounts for a transition period?

I just went to an apple store and picked up a Sprint 7+ and paid for it outright. Popped in my att sim and was good to go. I think the only option for what you want it to buy it outright.

kjotwani

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014

Exact situation I was in. I spoke to the Apple Store manager and he after talking to his higher ups gave a solution.
My current GSM phone has gotten an extended return policy till the sim free versions come and then I will return my GSM model, get the full amount back and start a new iUP loan with sim free version.
Have an email from the manager stating this

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
LOL... uh... there is NO CDMA in Europe... thanks to the European Union. All of the people whining about the GSM model not having CDMA are entitled tools who cannot stand their phone being "inferior"... the types who traded 10 iPhone 6S phones in to get a TSMC chip.

You DO NOT need CDMA unless you are going to use Verizon or Sprint. For roaming... it would be nice to have it in Central America and Korea. Other than that... you don't need it. Both phones support the same LTE, HSPA and GSM Bands... PERIOD!

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I'm caught in the same situation as the OP as I would like to get the 'universal' iPhone model for my wife instead of the gimped ATT model. I'm thinking that the CDMA model will have the best resale value too as it's can be used virtually anywhere while the GSM model is a bit limited.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm caught in the same situation as the OP as I would like to get the 'universal' iPhone model for my wife instead of the gimped ATT model. I'm thinking that the CDMA model will have the best resale value too as it's can be used virtually anywhere while the GSM model is a bit limited.

I have used an ATT iPhone all over the EU and have not had any problem.

Worked great everywhere.

Onlytemporary

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
Exact situation I was in. I spoke to the Apple Store manager and he after talking to his higher ups gave a solution.
My current GSM phone has gotten an extended return policy till the sim free versions come and then I will return my GSM model, get the full amount back and start a new iUP loan with sim free version.
Have an email from the manager stating this
Did this workout for you? The sim free version is available now but not through iUP.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
buy sim free all iPhone works with all carriers

kjotwani

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Did this workout for you? The sim free version is available now but not through iUP.
Yup. Placed a order for the Sim Free phones I wanted at the store. Shows 2-3 weeks shipping at my store. Once in, will start the process.
The manager sent the email to entire store staff so I show them the email, they remember it and help with the process. (It's a hassle though still)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.