Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Well, my D300 is now basically a sleek brick. While reviewing shots I took yesterday, the screen abruptly died and the camera stayed on no matter what I did, until the battery was removed. Took that out, put it back in and nothing happens.

I'll have to ship it back to Cameta and then it back in a month, probably doomed to fail yet again at some point (I've been reading about similar power failures with D300s around the web, and some mention being serviced for it and then failing again).

I'll have had it for ten months at the end of July, and I'll have been without it for a full two months of that time.

Moral of the story: Don't buy from Cameta, buy either new whenever possible and if you buy demo/refurb, buy from the biggest one of all, B&H. That way, when you tell people where you got it from, they'll at least know what you're talking about, not to mention get better service.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Is there a reset switch on the D300?

My D60 stopped responding once, there's a note in the manual "A Note on Electronically-Controlled Cameras" about a rare instance in which a strong static charge might render the camera unresponsive.

They suggest a reset might help (and it worked in my case).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
That sucks.

I have a D300 as well. If that happened to me, I don't know what I'd do. I moved countries, so there goes my warranty, right?

No, your warranty is fine- the issue with Nikon is that some country companies (Nikon USA most definitely) don't honor gray-market repairs (in or out of warranty.) If you purchased in another market, even Nikon USA will honor the warranty (as will Nikon Japan if all else fails.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.