Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alchemist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
UK
Hi All,

Thought I'd share this experience. Partly because I'd like to take my own temperature and secondly because I wonder if it might be useful for other owners.

I purchased a HomePod in January 2019. It has sat, essentially unmoved on my sideboard for the past couple of years. It's worked well. The other day I noticed it had stopped responding to Siri voice commands. I went over and tapped it and got no response via touch either. I turned it off at the wall and turned it back on again. No joy. I unplugged it and plugged it into a different socket. No joy. Next thing I tried was changing the fuse. Again, no joy. At this point I figured it was essentially bricked so I setup a Genius Bar appointment.

I visited the Basingstoke store today to have it looked at. I was relatively unsurprised, though disappointed to learn that the only thing they could offer me was a £212 'repair' fee for what would essentially be a straight swap of my non-functional old HomePod with a functional new model.

While I understand that technically the HomePod is out of warranty, I feel pretty short changed here. The HomePod has seen zero abuse and frankly should function for more than 2yrs 2 months before giving up the ghost. The tech recommended that if I wanted to escalate it, I could call AppleCare via the Apple Support app. On getting home I did this. No dice. Was told the exact same thing.

As someone who has spent a lot of money over the years with Apple, including on a custom iMac Pro I found the absence of discretion in this situation pretty disappointing. I accept that sometimes things go wrong outside of warranty - I've had iMac's in the past that needed GPU daughterboard replacements and so forth, but I've never had a device go so dead, so completely in such a short timescale and then been asked to fess up 76% of the original purchase price to have a 'repair'.

I appreciate that I am just little me, and Apple is monolithic Apple, but I after 30 years of being a Mac user, I found this treatment pretty ******. But hey, perhaps I am being unreasonable. I think not though.

So, anyone who has a similar experience, prepare yourself. It's fairly unforgiving.

Reactions: deaglecat

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It's unfortunate that Apple's products have such low repairability as to make full swaps almost the only way to fix things, save for Macs and the glass components on iPhones. Things like keyboards, Pencils, Magic Trackpads, HomePods, AirPods, etc., simply cannot be repaired without destroying the object.

With that said -- and I'm 100% not blaming the victim here, just giving a warning for others before they get in to a similar situation -- don't buy a sealed Apple product without realizing that if it dies after the warranty expires, that a near-full replacement may be the only way to "fix" it.

I do love Apple products, but it sucks that so many of them are unrepairable.

Nonetheless, being a long time Apple customer shouldn't entitle someone to special treatment, however (everyone should get the VIP treatment IMHO).

Reactions: MBAir2010

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It is unfortunate but it is also not too uncommon for a consumer electronics company to not offer extended warranty coverage or forgiveness for a product out of warranty. Apple offering a discounted replacement is actually a nice thing as opposed to the alternatives that can happen.

I am dealing with an issue with one of my camera bodies that is out of warranty and in order for it to be considered for a discount replacement, I need to pay to ship it in, and pay for diagnostics to see what has happened before I am given any options to repair / replace.

Not long ago, I ran into a similar situation with a sony audio product and really only had the option to buy a new or used replacement.

Agree that Apple could do better, but a discount replacement option is actually kinda nice too.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Hi All,

Thought I'd share this experience. Partly because I'd like to take my own temperature and secondly because I wonder if it might be useful for other owners.

I purchased a HomePod in January 2019. It has sat, essentially unmoved on my sideboard for the past couple of years. It's worked well. The other day I noticed it had stopped responding to Siri voice commands. I went over and tapped it and got no response via touch either. I turned it off at the wall and turned it back on again. No joy. I unplugged it and plugged it into a different socket. No joy. Next thing I tried was changing the fuse. Again, no joy. At this point I figured it was essentially bricked so I setup a Genius Bar appointment.

I visited the Basingstoke store today to have it looked at. I was relatively unsurprised, though disappointed to learn that the only thing they could offer me was a £212 'repair' fee for what would essentially be a straight swap of my non-functional old HomePod with a functional new model.

While I understand that technically the HomePod is out of warranty, I feel pretty short changed here. The HomePod has seen zero abuse and frankly should function for more than 2yrs 2 months before giving up the ghost. The tech recommended that if I wanted to escalate it, I could call AppleCare via the Apple Support app. On getting home I did this. No dice. Was told the exact same thing.

As someone who has spent a lot of money over the years with Apple, including on a custom iMac Pro I found the absence of discretion in this situation pretty disappointing. I accept that sometimes things go wrong outside of warranty - I've had iMac's in the past that needed GPU daughterboard replacements and so forth, but I've never had a device go so dead, so completely in such a short timescale and then been asked to fess up 76% of the original purchase price to have a 'repair'.

I appreciate that I am just little me, and Apple is monolithic Apple, but I after 30 years of being a Mac user, I found this treatment pretty ******. But hey, perhaps I am being unreasonable. I think not though.

So, anyone who has a similar experience, prepare yourself. It's fairly unforgiving.
Unfortunately you are being unreasonable. A stationary device like HomePod should last decades, and only lose software support. Heck my original 2007 Intel based Apple TV still works (no software updates means no internet connectivity though)(surprised it hasn’t cooked itself.) My 2006 iPod HiFi works great.

However the warranty is there for a reason. There seems to be quite a few HomePod related failures, but those are generally from 2018. It’s obviously too late, but I have a used HomePod that was covered until 2/28/21. I bought AppleCare for $39 2 days before the 1 year warranty expired. Now it’s covered for 2 more years. I have 9 of these units now ? 3 bought new, 2 used, the rest were parts units. It seems the most common failure is the logic board. Logic board failure causes boot loops, flashing volume lights and even absolutely working. Sometimes the amp board goes (unit makes a popping noise)

I’d suggest listing it on eBay as a parts unit. You can usually get between $70-$110 for it.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
It is unfortunate but it is also not too uncommon for a consumer electronics company to not offer extended warranty coverage or forgiveness for a product out of warranty. Apple offering a discounted replacement is actually a nice thing as opposed to the alternatives that can happen.

I am dealing with an issue with one of my camera bodies that is out of warranty and in order for it to be considered for a discount replacement, I need to pay to ship it in, and pay for diagnostics to see what has happened before I am given any options to repair / replace.

Not long ago, I ran into a similar situation with a sony audio product and really only had the option to buy a new or used replacement.

Agree that Apple could do better, but a discount replacement option is actually kinda nice too.
It’s not really a discounted replacement, it’s the out of warranty “repair” fee. iPads, iPods, iPhone, AirPods, and accessories all have an out of warranty fee that covers defects. You can also pay that fee for accidental damage during the warranty. You still have to turn in your damage/defective device and only get a 90 day warranty.

The smart choice is to buy a used replacement (preferably still under the 1 year warranty) for much less than the OOW fee. Paying the OOW fee ($279) for a HomePod is pretty stupid when $20 more gets you a full 1 year warranty with the option to buy AppleCare+ during the 1 year period.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It’s not really a discounted replacement, it’s the out of warranty “repair” fee. iPads, iPods, iPhone, AirPods, and accessories all have an out of warranty fee that covers defects. You can also pay that fee for accidental damage during the warranty. You still have to turn in your damage/defective device and only get a 90 day warranty.

The smart choice is to buy a used replacement (preferably still under the 1 year warranty) for much less than the OOW fee. Paying the OOW fee ($279) for a HomePod is pretty stupid when $20 more gets you a full 1 year warranty with the option to buy AppleCare+ during the 1 year period.
Would he be getting the same Homepod back with the exact same Serial number?

Would he be paying full price for the homepod that was not his previously with a different serial number?

We could pick nits all day with regards to calling the service a repair or not, but the fact remains they are being offered a completely different HomePod, not a repair. And this replacement device is being offered at less cost than a new retail device. As you also stated, these devices also carry a (arguably short) warranty with them as well. Apple is not obligated to replace anything out of warranty, or, offer a lower price for such replacements.

Outside of that disagreement, I am 100% agreed with your other point. Buying a used (with warranty would be preferred) or, even one brand new from a discounted seller and add AppleCare to it for less than the replacement they are offering.

Reactions: ouimetnick

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Would he be getting the same Homepod back with the exact same Serial number?

Would he be paying full price for the homepod that was not his previously with a different serial number?

We could pick nits all day with regards to calling the service a repair or not, but the fact remains they are being offered a completely different HomePod, not a repair. And this replacement device is being offered at less cost than a new retail device. As you also stated, these devices also carry a (arguably short) warranty with them as well. Apple is not obligated to replace anything out of warranty, or, offer a lower price for such replacements.

Outside of that disagreement, I am 100% agreed with your other point. Buying a used (with warranty would be preferred) or, even one brand new from a discounted seller and add AppleCare to it for less than the replacement they are offering.
What you say is true, it's quite common in the automotive industry. I think of that discount that Apple offers as a "core" charge. You have a broken device to turn in for them to refurbish, they give you a discount on the replacement. Auto makers do it if you were to buy a rebuilt engine, transmission, starter, alternator, etc from them. Auto part stores do it as well. Apple takes the broken device and refurbishes/rebuilds it and it goes to the next customer that needs a warranty replacement or that pays for an OOW "repair"

Reactions: 840quadra

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
What you say is true, it's quite common in the automotive industry. I think of that discount that Apple offers as a "core" charge. You have a broken device to turn in for them to refurbish, they give you a discount on the replacement. Auto makers do it if you were to buy a rebuilt engine, transmission, starter, alternator, etc from them. Auto part stores do it as well. Apple takes the broken device and refurbishes/rebuilds it and it goes to the next customer that needs a warranty replacement or that pays for an OOW "repair"
At the end of the day I meant no disrespect to the OP or you in my post. I don’t agree 100% with what Apple does, either.

Your advice on the subject is totally solid!?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi All,

Sometimes, products fail. That doesn't mean you are at fault or that Apple is necessarily at fault in this instance. Your product was out of warranty. Apple took a look and quoted you a price. I am not sure why you are mad with Apple.

Reactions: chabig

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
this is why  is not making these anymore-some work, some dont!
sorry for your loss tho,
i would be upset is any product from 2019 did not work in 2021 and for something that just plays music.
i guess you can take that apart and see if something weird like plug loose or a bug might that impaired the speaker, you never know!

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Sometimes, products fail. That doesn't mean you are at fault or that Apple is necessarily at fault in this instance. Your product was out of warranty. Apple took a look and quoted you a price. I am not sure why you are mad with Apple.
I believe he’s upset with Apple because it only lasted 2 years and the fact that the “repair” price is only $20 cheaper than buying another one. Imagine if a dealer quoted you $2000 less than the purchase price of your vehicle to “repair” the engine.

If repairability was a factor in how Apple designs their products, perhaps the OOW fee would be more reasonable. I’ve taken them apart, and it’s something that exceeds the skill level of your average “Genius” :(

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I believe he’s upset with Apple because it only lasted 2 years and the fact that the “repair” price is only $20 cheaper than buying another one. Imagine if a dealer quoted you $2000 less than the purchase price of your vehicle to “repair” the engine.

If repairability was a factor in how Apple designs their products, perhaps the OOW fee would be more reasonable. I’ve taken them apart, and it’s something that exceeds the skill level of your average “Genius” :(
If this happened to me, I would be disappointed for sure. At the same time, I realize that no matter what, a consumer product (Apple or otherwise) can fail before it's perceived lifespan is over. If I didn't want to pay the out of warranty repair bill, which Apple tells us all in advance of any purchase, unlike most companies, I would reassess my need of the product and determine if I want to get another one.

If I had AC+ and device failed a month or two after it ended, I would contact Apple and politely make my case and ask for some Apple grace. If grace wasn't extended, I wouldn't be mad with Apple.

Regulars like you and me know the Apple drill. We know their products really aren't made to be serviced outside of Apple land.

If I was not an informed tech nerd, I suppose I can see some people getting upset after the fact and would share the OP's frustration.

Edited to add: It looks like Apple is discontinuing the full size HomePod and sticking with the mini.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
I’ve taken them apart, and it’s something that exceeds the skill level of your average “Genius” :(
can they be fixed?
the speaker seems intricate were the cone and other gaskets are placeed or layered together, with a circuit board.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
i
I’ve written a proper disassembly guide on iFixit, but where does one get replacement boards or a schematic to troubleshoot?

I’ve built working units from several bad units with different failures, but that’s about it.
i just gave you 30 points!
wow I'm glad i never purchased on of those, seems impossible!
i fix my own things except an iPad were it was cheaper servicing than buying the parts!

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
i

i just gave you 30 points!
wow I'm glad i never purchased on of those, seems impossible!
i fix my own things except an iPad were it was cheaper servicing than buying the parts!
The top touch plastic surface is a bitch to remove. I actually found that using a flux bottle with a needle on it to dispense isopropyl alcohol helps soften the adhesive faster. The hairdryer is still needed to initially weaken the adhesive enough to insert the needle. ?

The hairdryer to remove the top plastic part over the woofer is needed, and a heat gun will cause damage. This step is probably the most difficult to do. I plan to update the info in that guide, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Also a screw driver should be inserted between the screws securing the woofer and the top ring thing. That way you only scuff the screws securing the woofer instead of scuffing the actual woofer like shown in the photos.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Excellent guide. I definitely would not try that. I would screw it up worse. lol
when i was young if i broke anything, i had to fix it!
than i fixed things my dad would break,
my sisters changed their own oil (cars) and we never had a repair person over, ever.
im now very glad our pets lived a long life!

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I had similar experience. Pre-ordered the HomePod and picked up in store back in Feb/2018. In years, it's been sitting on my desk and I had changed the HomePod placement once or twice. It was plugged into an UPS Back-Up. In Jan/2021, it won't power on although the base felt warm after plugged in for a while. Even since Apple lowered the price of the HomePod ($349 to $299), it didn't lower the service fee.

As a HomePod mini user, I really like the original HomePod in terms of sound quality. I waited a week or two and see if there's any special on HomePod at BestBuy or elsewhere. Weeks later, I decided to just reserved a Genius appointment. The Genius repeated a few times that I would be paying US$279 to swap it out. I was willing to pay this high price and the Genius thought there's something wrong with me. I wish they could find out what actually went wrong with the original broken unit.

Out of warranty service fee is always been on the higher end for Apple products, that's why I tend to buy AppleCare+. The AppleCare+ for HomePod only covers up to 2 years, which is kind of a joke to be honest.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I had similar experience. Pre-ordered the HomePod and picked up in store back in Feb/2018. In years, it's been sitting on my desk and I had changed the HomePod placement once or twice. It was plugged into an UPS Back-Up. In Jan/2021, it won't power on although the base felt warm after plugged in for a while. Even since Apple lowered the price of the HomePod ($349 to $299), it didn't lower the service fee.

As a HomePod mini user, I really like the original HomePod in terms of sound quality. I waited a week or two and see if there's any special on HomePod at BestBuy or elsewhere. Weeks later, I decided to just reserved a Genius appointment. The Genius repeated a few times that I would be paying US$279 to swap it out. I was willing to pay this high price and the Genius thought there's something wrong with me. I wish they could find out what actually went wrong with the original broken unit.

Out of warranty service fee is always been on the higher end for Apple products, that's why I tend to buy AppleCare+. The AppleCare+ for HomePod only covers up to 2 years, which is kind of a joke to be honest.
Got Apple Care for the same reason. I’d say better option is eBay + buy a new HomePod. You get some $40-$80 discount. If the buyer tries to scam you just write it off as $20 Loss

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I just had the same issue - I get blinking volume controls, and the HomePod won't work, and won't reset. I see a reddit issue or two on the subject.

Anyone else have this problem on a 2 year old HomePod?

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Speaking of which, I bought my second Home Pod at the Apple store over the weekend. This time I opted for the AppleCare+. Could be a waste of money decision.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Speaking of which, I bought my second Home Pod at the Apple store over the weekend. This time I opted for the AppleCare+. Could be a waste of money decision.
You’ll have a total of 2 years coverage. AppleCare+ covers 2 years from the date or purchasing AppleCare+

I’d have waited until I was close to nearing the end of the 1 year warranty period before buying AC+

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
You’ll have a total of 2 years coverage. AppleCare+ covers 2 years from the date or purchasing AppleCare+

I’d have waited until I was close to nearing the end of the 1 year warranty period before buying AC.

Hopefully you don’t ever need to use it and I hope it lasts for years. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.