Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElwoodP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I have a Buffalo Linkstation (LS420) connected to a Mac running Yosemite.

A few folders are suddenly inaccessible. I receive the following error when trying to access them in Finder:

The folder "folder name" can't be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents.

Could anyone give me advice on how to troubleshoot and fix the problem?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Right click the folder and select get info scroll to the bottom where it says permissions and have a look. If you then tap the padlock and enter your password you might be able to change the permission. Failing that depending on the model of NAS log into its web console and edit the permissions in there.

ElwoodP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Right click the folder and select get info scroll to the bottom where it says permissions and have a look. If you then tap the padlock and enter your password you might be able to change the permission. Failing that depending on the model of NAS log into its web console and edit the permissions in there.

Thanks Gav2k. Trying to change the permissions through finder results in an error message (see screenshot):
The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission.
The Buffalo web admin doesn't seem to have a feature to change permissions for specific files/folders, only for the entire volume.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 09.06.05.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 09.06.05.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 516

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks Gav2k. Trying to change the permissions through finder results in an error message (see screenshot):
The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission.
The Buffalo web admin doesn't seem to have a feature to change permissions for specific files/folders, only for the entire volume.
Looking at the manual for your NAS there are a few ways to set and change permissions. But first have you restarted the NAS and systems your having issues with?

ElwoodP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Looking at the manual for your NAS there are a few ways to set and change permissions. But first have you restarted the NAS and systems your having issues with?

Yes, I have restarted both the NAS and computers.

Interesting, what did you find in the manual? As far as I can work out whilst permissions can be set for the route folder using the Link Station web software sub folder permissions cannot be changed.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yes, I have restarted both the NAS and computers.

Interesting, what did you find in the manual? As far as I can work out whilst permissions can be set for the route folder using the Link Station web software sub folder permissions cannot be changed.
First thing I would do is set up a new user in the NAS giving admin rights then when connecting in finder click connect as and sign in with those details. See if that resolves the issue first.

ElwoodP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
OK, so I created a new user with full privileges and I have the same problem with accessing certain folders.

However I then thought to just turn off access restrictions for the share and mounted it as a guest (with no username or password). I now have access to the affected folders.

Thats a relief that the data is there. But I don't understand what is happening...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.