Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
When listening to music in the iOS 10 beta, if you unplug the Lightning cable from the device (while having headphones plugged in), the music will pause for around half a second or so. I believe that the pause occurs because the normal behavior when unplugging headphones is to pause the music. So it pauses for a second and then realizes that i have headphones still plugged into the headphone jack.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Possible, but due to the advances they made with the lightning connector, they could probably identify the device plugged in more accurately than just "any device", so make this behaviour it more specific to headphones.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Possible, but due to the advances they made with the lightning connector, they could probably identify the device plugged in more accurately than just "any device", so make this behaviour it more specific to headphones.

What advancements have they made with the Lightning Connector? This never happens when playing through my iPad's speakers and unplugging it, so it must have something to do with headphones. I think my inference is logical

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
What advancements have they made with the Lightning Connector? This never happens when playing through my iPad's speakers and unplugging it, so it must have something to do with headphones. I think my inference is logical

The lightning connector knows what type of adapter is connected to it (charge cable, camera dongle etc etc) so with this behaviour you describe, I would expect that it would know not to pause music when a charge cable is removed and to pause music when a headphone dongle is removed. I didn't say you weren't on to something.

Reactions: jgelin

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
The lightning connector knows what type of adapter is connected to it (charge cable, camera dongle etc etc) so with this behaviour you describe, I would expect that it would know not to pause music when a charge cable is removed and to pause music when a headphone dongle is removed. I didn't say you weren't on to something.

That's why I think it's a bug

Reactions: IGI2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.