Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prateek90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017

Hi Guys, I finally found a fix for this issue.

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernel commands. Got me really scared as I didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing any data. :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time (10 minutes or so) to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I don't know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick and it didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra with all my files intact. :cool::cool:

Last edited:

Identikit

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
Okay, I started this. Fingers crossed!

The only thing different so far is I had to mount Macintosh HD in Disk Utility before I could run First Aid.

I’ll report back when this either works or I lose all my data

Identikit

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
Okay, I started this. Fingers crossed!

The only thing different so far is I had to mount Macintosh HD in Disk Utility before I could run First Aid.

I’ll report back when this either works or I lose all my data

It worked! Mine only installed once (didn’t do the double install). Took a little under an hour. Disappointing experience, though. iOS 11 has been very buggy on my phone, too (despite having run it on my iPad Pro from beta 4 and never having any issues).

Reactions: Prateek90

phroggie

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
I'm stuck.

I get the "calculating" message and after forty-five minutes or so it says "44 minutes" then "43 minutes" then I get this window with a nice picture of the Sierras and the message "macOS could not be installed on your computer The operation couldn't be completed (com.apple.DiskManagement error 0.) Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again." It's been lather/rinse/repeat since then.

I tried Prateek90's instructions and get the same dialog. Lather/rinse/repeat. And I haven't had any luck finding out what "com.apple.DiskMangement error 0" means.

Any help would be appreciated.

algengler

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
tennessee
I'm stuck.

I get the "calculating" message and after forty-five minutes or so it says "44 minutes" then "43 minutes" then I get this window with a nice picture of the Sierras and the message "macOS could not be installed on your computer The operation couldn't be completed (com.apple.DiskManagement error 0.) Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again." It's been lather/rinse/repeat since then.

I tried Prateek90's instructions and get the same dialog. Lather/rinse/repeat. And I haven't had any luck finding out what "com.apple.DiskMangement error 0" means.

[doublepost=1506475554][/doublepost]Same thing happened to me on 27" iMac. After four tries at restarting I went to recovery disk and restored my last back up...

Sad. I was looking forward to High Sierra.

dribando

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks Prateek90!!! Very clear instructions and worked perfectly. My early 2011 MBP with Samsung Evo 850 SSD was hung for 10 hours. Was concerned about force restart. Luckily you had already waded the treacherous waters. Your process took about 2 hours on my machine.

Prateek90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
I'm stuck.

Did you ever install Windows or Linux on your system before??

Prateek90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
No. (I do use Parallels but the drive has the factory partitioning.)

Update: Apple said to reset the PRAM, etc. and retry. Still no dice.

You do need to have only one drive for this to install. Its a bug with Apple file system conversion of disk. Restart your mac with holding option button, if you see more than one disk then you need to remove all except Macintosh HD or else High sierra will not accept it.

RenatoBB

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
I have one disk but 3 partitions besides a USB external disk with the backup. In my case, I need just to remove the USB disk? And about the NVRAM? Would it better to reset it 1st?

phroggie

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
You do need to have only one drive for this to install. Its a bug with Apple file system conversion of disk. ...you need to remove all except Macintosh HD or else High sierra will not accept it.

It’s a MacMini with its original mechanical drive with its original factory partition. No other “drives” are installed.

Prateek90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
I have one disk but 3 partitions besides a USB external disk with the backup. In my case, I need just to remove the USB disk? And about the NVRAM? Would it better to reset it 1st?

Yeah you can remove usb disk and try NVRAM first. Just check with option button restart.
[doublepost=1506535988][/doublepost]
It’s a MacMini with its original mechanical drive with its original factory partition. No other “drives” are installed.

I think you should wait for a stable release then. Lot of bugs in this OS.

mwoop

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
I tried this procedure and unfortunately it's not working for me. Installation still stops after 45 minutes or so displaying the message "Installation in progress... calculating time...". After 8 hours I shut off the machine and rebooted:

macOS could not be installed. Path to /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg is damaged or missing.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
You do need to have only one drive for this to install. Its a bug with Apple file system conversion of disk. Restart your mac with holding option button, if you see more than one disk then you need to remove all except Macintosh HD or else High sierra will not accept it.

My install went perfectly fine, my laptop's equipped with a 250GB SSD internal and a secondary 3TB data drive, also internal.

curtiscee

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
DC
After 12 hours, tried your tips and they worked like a charm. BIG THANKS!

Some extra notes for the curious:

System: iMac 27” Retina 5K Late 2015 (3TB Fusion Drive) running latest version of Sierra and about 2 TB of free hard drive space.

External 16 TB G-Speed Thunderbolt Drive Raid-0. Mac OS Journaled.

Takeaway: This just reeks of bad coding on Apple’s part, not bad configs.

Additional Installation Thoughts:

1. I didn’t check if you could run Disk Utility and First Aid in Internet Recovery Mode. Probably can, right? If so, saves time rebooting into standard Recovery Mode and then IRM. You can just do it in one step. Regardless, many will determine that this step is unneeded, but it is because any weirdness with the drive *may* have contributed to this problem in the first place. The repair process is usually quick, maybe a minute at most. So it’s highly recommended.

2. I had to wait only 8 minutes in Internet Recovery Mode, not 45. (I don’t think it’s installing twice, but downloading the installation media or updates, preparing for the installation, unpacking setup files or whatever etc.) This prep time likely varies because of each machine’s current download status, internet speeds, software needs, and so on. Again, my prep time was only 8 minutes.)

3. After the prep time above, the actual installation began. It initially announced an install time of roughly 45 minutes, I think it said 41 minutes. It then began the now classic install process and reached the same message: “Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining...” But not to worry: It may look the same briefly, but it doesn’t hang on this message for long. It’ll stay this way and bounce to it intermittently, but it won’t remain there. Seconds to a minute or two, but NOT several minutes or hours like before. It’s ACTUALLY calculating this time, and you’ll notice the time remaining descending. WHEW!

4. Eventually, the message settles into a new one: “Installing: About XX minutes remaining”, XX of course representing actual numbers depending on how much time is remaining. Point is, the numbers do actual decrease. It will alternate between this message and the “scary” one about “Calculating time...” but only for seconds as it confirms/updates its calculations. However, it’s generally accurate at the beginning.

5: As you said: About 45 minutes, but for me, significantly less. When it got down to about “18 minutes remaining,” it actually rebooted, not in a failure, but in a “you won’t be needing the rest. Your newer model system is up to date. We’re done here.” And then I logged into High Sierra, and setting up the usual suspects: logging into icloud, etc. ALL SET!

Enjoy High Sierra. And guess what everyone will do next time: TimeCapsule Backup, after waiting a week from download availability.

Last edited:

Bindira

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2017
Tanzania
I

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernel commands. Got me really scared as I didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing any data. :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I don't know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick and it didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra with all my files intact. :cool::cool:
have the

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

I have same problem, I’m using golden master of Mac OS High Sierra i can’t download file of Mac OS High Sierra when it’s finished to download I’m trying to open it for installation it takes me again to the play store to download again I have tried so many times

Prateek90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
After 12 hours, tried your tips and they worked like a charm. BIG THANKS!

Some extra notes for the curious:

System: iMac 27” Retina 5K Late 2015 (3TB Fusion Drive) running latest version of Sierra and about 2 TB of free hard drive space.

External 16 TB G-Speed Thunderbolt Drive Raid-0. Mac OS Journaled.

Takeaway: This just reeks of bad coding on Apple’s part, not bad configs.

Additional Installation Thoughts:

1. I didn’t check if you could run Disk Utility and First Aid in Internet Recovery Mode. Probably can, right? If so, saves time rebooting into standard Recovery Mode and then IRM. You can just do it in one step. Regardless, many will determine that this step is unneeded, but it is because any weirdness with the drive *may* have contributed to this problem in the first place. The repair process is usually quick, maybe a minute at most. So it’s highly recommended.

2. I had to wait only 8 minutes in Internet Recovery Mode, not 45. (I don’t think it’s installing twice, but downloading the installation media or updates, preparing for the installation, unpacking setup files or whatever etc.) This prep time likely varies because of each machine’s current download status, internet speeds, software needs, and so on. Again, my prep time was only 8 minutes.)

3. After the prep time above, the actual installation began. It initially announced an install time of roughly 45 minutes, I think it said 41 minutes. It then began the now classic install process and reached the same message: “Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining...” But not to worry: It may look the same briefly, but it doesn’t hang on this message for long. It’ll stay this way and bounce to it intermittently, but it won’t remain there. Seconds to a minute or two, but NOT several minutes or hours like before. It’s ACTUALLY calculating this time, and you’ll notice the time remaining descending. WHEW!

4. Eventually, the message settles into a new one: “Installing: About XX minutes remaining”, XX of course representing actual numbers depending on how much time is remaining. Point is, the numbers do actual decrease. It will alternate between this message and the “scary” one about “Calculating time...” but only for seconds as it confirms/updates its calculations. However, it’s generally accurate at the beginning.

5: As you said: About 45 minutes, but for me, significantly less. When it got down to about “18 minutes remaining,” it actually rebooted, not in a failure, but in a “you won’t be needing the rest. Your newer model system is up to date. We’re done here.” And then I logged into High Sierra, and setting up the usual suspects: logging into icloud, etc. ALL SET!

Enjoy High Sierra. And guess what everyone will do next time: TimeCapsule Backup, after waiting a week from download availability.

I am glad it worked for you :)

tplehman

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2017
saint louis

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time (10 minutes or so) to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

Seems that booting to regular "recovery mode" via command-R, mounts Mac-HD, AND the "recovery" volume, as where "internet recovery mode" command-option-R only mounts the Mac-HD

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have same problem, I’m using golden master of Mac OS High Sierra i can’t download file of Mac OS High Sierra when it’s finished to download I’m trying to open it for installation it takes me again to the play store to download again I have tried so many times

Since a GM is the same as the released .0 version in most cases, including with High Sierra. That should explain it. No point in updating when you're already on the system. Also..... Don't say Play Store. It hurts ;)

jimxc

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
ok update. all fine now! I followed the suggested fix in this thread, firstAid was fine-no problems found and just before starting the MacOS reinstall, i rang AppleSupport to confirm it was the best course of action. The operator confirmed no files would be erased, the disk wouldn't be erased/formatted, only a new version of HS would be downloaded and the OS updated. 45min later it's back! Phew. She said the version of HS i had was corrupt and buggy. I downloaded it months ago. That was the cause she said. Hope everyone gets their mac sorted!! Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.