Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zapp21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Today, my iMac finally arrived from Ireland: Awesome machine! But I'm quite unhappy with the build quality.

The first quality issue is pretty obvious: A notch in the back of the aluminum body.

My second complaint is about the gap between glass and aluminium chassis on the left side. Is this ordinary for 27" models? I do have a 21.5" 2014 iMac for comparison, which has no gaps at all.

Do you have this kind of gap between display and aluminum chassis?

Attachments

• IMG_5315.JPG
    IMG_5315.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 506
  • IMG_5318.JPG
    IMG_5318.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 446
Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Do you have this kind of gap between display and aluminum chassis?

The second photo looks to me like the whole glass screen is displaced a fraction to the right, exposing the front edge of the aluminium body. Unless that's some sort of trick of the light in the extreme close-up photo, that's definitely not right.

The glass should be edge-to-edge, with no aluminium showing when you look at it from the front. Looks as if it the screen has been removed and inexpertly reattached.

Reactions: Zapp21

Zapp21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
The second photo looks to me like the whole glass screen is displaced a fraction to the right, exposing the front edge of the aluminium body.

Exactly, great description of the problem. I'll contact Apple. Thanks for your feedback!

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Was the power cable loose in the box during shipping? Mine was, and I think it caused a small nick on the back. Though it’s smaller than the one you pictured. I didn’t bother with an exchange because I had already trsansfered everything from my old iMac.

Zapp21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Was the power cable loose in the box during shipping? Mine was, and I think it caused a small nick on the back. Though it’s smaller than the one you pictured. I didn’t bother with an exchange because I had already trsansfered everything from my old iMac.

My power cable was also loose in the box. But the nick is on the other side, so it must have been damaged in production.

Update the thread when you get the replacement.
There's a reason they have refurbs...
Of course, I will.

Reactions: MRrainer

Zapp21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Alright, I got my replacement machine:
- Power Cable was not loose in the carton this time
- No glass displacement on the Aluminum body
- No quirks or scratches

Finally, I can enjoy the full beauty of this machine. Really happy now :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.