Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djstarrock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
UK, Scotland, Glasgow
I'm wanting to get comments and rating from people who've used or own the Canon 350D to answer they few questions on build quality.

I will be using these result into a project I'm doing.

If you could please provide a rating from 1-6 (1 being worst 6 being the best) and a comment for each of these questions.

1. Do you think the weather protection such as a light drizzle is good and have you personally test this?

2. Do you think it would hold up well from a drop of waist height and has this personally happened to you, did it survive?

3.Do you find that it feels like a solid product in terms of actual feel of it, such as weight texture of the casing, feels well made?

This is only for Canon EOS 350D/XT

Here's an example of answering one of these questions
Q1
Rating: 5
"Yes it had great weather protection it survived well in tsunami with no ill effects afterwards"

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
The Rebel XT was the first dSLR I bought. Loved it, it totally ignited my passion for photography.

1) 5 - in terms of you describing a light drizzle. IT IS NOT a weather sealed camera. That said. I took it to Central Newfoundland in the middle of winter. Here to be specific. It was snowing everyday and about 10ft of snow on the ground. Worked perfectly, never had a problem.

2) 2-3. I would hesitate to think of dropping any camera from waist high. I'd be more worried about the lens than the body. At the same time. It's a plastic casing.

3) 4. If it's your first dSLR it may feel like it has substantial weight. Then you pick up something like even a 40D and it will feel light as a feather afterwards.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I used a 350D for over 3 years, 40D for a year, and 5D for a couple of months.

The answers are somewhat relative. For example, the 40D and 5D would score substantially higher on number 3. However, having said that, the 350D is quite well made in that it's reasonably rugged and the construction is solid (no gaps between pieces, etc).

A drop would waist height would be far more dangerous to the lens than the camera body. I think the camera body would survive a drop from that height.

Can't respond on the drizzle, as I live in the desert and it rarely rains ;)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Regarding your questions:
1. Should be fine. Unless the light drizzle becomes a real rain, you shouldn't have a problem. I've owned various slrs from two manufacturers and none of them had weather seals. Of all the lenses I currently own, only one of them has weather seals. And I have never had a problem with any of them in even light rain.

2. No, the camera will likely break. Just like most when you drop them from a height of 1 m or more. It stands to reason that pro bodies have higher chances to survive the fall, but I wouldn't want to risk $$$ and try. Just don't drop your camera! ;)
One camera of mine died in this way: I had a Nikon F80 (analog!) and it fell from my bicycle when I was doing about 30 km/h on the pavement. I should rather say, it impacted on the pavement ;) The lens, a sturdily made Tokina, survived the fall with a few blemishes. The camera was dead, the mirror box was bent.

3. In my opinion, Canons of that class feel cheaper than the competition (e. g. similarly priced Nikons). If you want to form your own opinion, go to a store and try it. Also, even if you stay in the Canon camp, double and single-digit models are much more rugged.
However, the question is: do you need the extra build quality? Many noobs make the mistake of putting more money towards a body, but they cheap out on lenses. I'd much rather suggest a 350D with a Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 or a Canon 17-40 f/4 than a better body with a kit lens.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I still have a Rebel XT. Well...it's my wife's now, but I still use it every now and then along a 40D. It's about six years old, and I haven't had a single problem with it.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Speaking of build quality, I had an XTi (which is similar in build quality) and dropped that twice with the kit lens. Both drops were about 6 feet, and both were on tiled floorings. And guess what? Nothing happened to it. In fact, there were no dents or scratches, which I was impressed about. I guess since it was so light, no damage was really done. Keep in mind I was intoxicated both times when it was dropped. ;)

I'm guessing the kit lens was why the camera/lens didn't get damaged. It's physically too light to get damaged. If it was an L lens attached to the camera, then I'd be worried, since most of the L lenses have hefty weight to the light body of the camera. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.