Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnontheweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Arcachon
Fellow Apple champions,

I bought a rhinoshield bumper for my iPhone 8 and the thing was indestructible. I bought the same for my iPhone 11 pro and the back case cracked the first fall. Now looking at a 13/14, which bumper would you get or just get a regular case?

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
There are also aluminium frames on Amazon with no back cover. I don't know how good they are or if the reduce the cell phone reception.

The Rhinoshield is too bulky, the screen lip extends for 2mm. Too much.
I would love to be able to buy a slimmer bumper, my phone doesn't need back protection, only side protection in case I drop it.

mikext

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2011
Dallas
For some reason, I'm nostalgic for an iPhone 4-style bumper and it doesn't seem like there are many options super close to that design other than the RhinoShield.

It sucks to hear they are pretty bulky and aren't that all protective. I just wanted something that provided a little extra grip that didn't feel like I had a case on my phone.

Reactions: Luba

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
For some reason, I'm nostalgic for an iPhone 4-style bumper and it doesn't seem like there are many options super close to that design other than the RhinoShield.

It sucks to hear they are pretty bulky and aren't that all protective. I just wanted something that provided a little extra grip that didn't feel like I had a case on my phone.
Yeah those Apple bumpers were great. Had great grip, thin and the phone looked naked and the buttons were amazing. Different times though!

Those RS bumpers work the same way except theyre so much bulkier to compensate to protect your iPhone in the case of a fall. The lip is too deep on both sides so it feels like you're holding a picture frame or something.

Reactions: mikext

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
403AB3B2-9C1F-402E-BCFA-E611FFE2B13D.jpeg
C5DE2CE7-DF9F-46AC-B7F2-C4ABF5B660ED.jpeg
FF72AB68-5F5E-4B5A-8222-BE3903ED1B04.jpeg
35DD1070-7E1C-4D4F-BC70-6CA0A8EF97B7.jpeg
I really missed the bumpers Element Case made for the iPhone 4 back in the day, that had a really industrial look and high quality machined aluminum. Especially since the current iPhones really lend themselves to sporting the bumper style case design. I’m currently using a Gild Design bumper for my iPhone. These are entirely made in Japan, and this one was made exclusively for the Kojima Productions online store. It also comes with a removable back should one desire to do so.

It’s very light, the fit is perfect, and I don’t notice any appreciable degradation in reception. My only complaints would be that the screws being on the edges make the phone feel a lot larger than it actually is, and it’s not very practical if you like to change cases often.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
View attachment 2044292 View attachment 2044293 View attachment 2044294 View attachment 2044295 I really missed the bumpers Element Case made for the iPhone 4 back in the day, that had a really industrial look and high quality machined aluminum. Especially since the current iPhones really lend themselves to sporting the bumper style case design. I’m currently using a Gild Design bumper for my iPhone. These are entirely made in Japan, and this one was made exclusively for the Kojima Productions online store. It also comes with a removable back should one desire to do so.

It’s very light, the fit is perfect, and I don’t notice any appreciable degradation in reception. My only complaints would be that the screws being on the edges make the phone feel a lot larger than it actually is, and it’s not very practical if you like to change cases often.
As a Metal Gear Solid fan... this is AWESOME!!!

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
As a Metal Gear Solid fan... this is AWESOME!!!
Glad to see a fellow Metal Gear fan. Metal Gear was the only video game I really cared about, and I bought every generation of PlayStation up until the PlayStation 4 to play it. With no new games, I haven't really had the motivation to buy a PS5 yet.

Anyway, this particular bumper case design was made for the 5th anniversary of KojiPro as an independent studio outside of Konami, and has a laser engraved back that can be inserted into the case. Also funnily enough, a branded matching headphone port cover, despite the iPhone no longer having said port.

If I got a Max model iPhone in the future, I don't know how practical the overall size would be for me, but I have no problem recommending this case to other iPhone users.

Reactions: heelsbigc

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009

A little bulky and it's made of hard plastic so not grippy. I do think it's quite protective though. With my hand size the 12 Pro with the RhinoShield bumpers was a bit too wide and the bumper material is slippery. 12 Pro naked was a great width, but even slipperier to the point of me feeling insecure holding it under various conditions like sweaty hands or very cold hands. A thin leather case like Apple's solved everything except it isn't particularly protective. Then again, a friend who uses a leather case and has indeed dropped his iPhone a few times feels it's protective enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikext

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I haven’t seen a bumper since the Great iPhone 4 Antennagate scandal of 2010.
Then again we never should’ve held it that way 🤣

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
Fellow Apple champions,

I bought a rhinoshield bumper for my iPhone 8 and the thing was indestructible. I bought the same for my iPhone 11 pro and the back case cracked the first fall. Now looking at a 13/14, which bumper would you get or just get a regular case?
I had this for a while on my 13 Pro. It was fine but I later went to a full case.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I saw this yesterday as I was also looking for a bumper case. I love the Deep Purple on the 14 Pro but hard to see with a case on. But I'm too clumsy to not have some kind of protection :confused:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I saw this yesterday as I was also looking for a bumper case. I love the Deep Purple on the 14 Pro but hard to see with a case on. But I'm too clumsy to not have some kind of protection :confused:
I just received a similar one from Amazon today. It fits well, is grippy and the phone lays flat on its back. The best part is now I can really see that purple.

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah those Apple bumpers were great. Had great grip, thin and the phone looked naked and the buttons were amazing. Different times though!

Those RS bumpers work the same way except theyre so much bulkier to compensate to protect your iPhone in the case of a fall. The lip is too deep on both sides so it feels like you're holding a picture frame or something.
The lip is deep so that when you place the phone on a flat surface, the cameras don't touch the surface.

Reactions: Luba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.