Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcgandalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hampshire, United Kingdom
My third replacement MacBook Pro 13" 2018 butterfly keyboard has just started malfunctioning. The 'n' key won't register any presses. Unhelpfully, 'n' is in my login password.

The most basic thing I need from a laptop is to be able to type. I use this thing day in, day out for work and everything else.

I'm just expecting to take the machine back to Apple, have the 'genius' express astonishment at my problem, be without a laptop (and be unable to do any work) for a week, before I get the machine back with a replacement butterfly keyboard, likely with my hard drive wiped - and then for the same problem to reoccur a year or so later.

Cost of replacement isn't an issue as my employer will pay - it's more the extreme hassle and frustration. It isn't easy or cheap for me to travel to the Apple Store.

Is there really no way to stop this from happening? "Buy a new laptop" isn't the most helpful solution!

I don't eat meals over my laptop keyboard - but these things should be able to withstand the odd crumb!

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
My third replacement MacBook Pro 13" 2018 butterfly keyboard has just started malfunctioning. The 'n' key won't register any presses. Unhelpfully, 'n' is in my login password.

The most basic thing I need from a laptop is to be able to type. I use this thing day in, day out for work and everything else.

I'm just expecting to take the machine back to Apple, have the 'genius' express astonishment at my problem, be without a laptop (and be unable to do any work) for a week, before I get the machine back with a replacement butterfly keyboard, likely with my hard drive wiped - and then for the same problem to reoccur a year or so later.

Cost of replacement isn't an issue as my employer will pay - it's more the extreme hassle and frustration. It isn't easy or cheap for me to travel to the Apple Store.

Is there really no way to stop this from happening? "Buy a new laptop" isn't the most helpful solution!

I don't eat meals over my laptop keyboard - but these things should be able to withstand the odd crumb!
As you are likely aware, that keyboard has quite a sad history and Apple was aware yet kept selling it for three years. If your employer purchased your 2018 Mac originally, have them buy you a new model. They should perfer that option rather than have you with no work tool for one week every year.

Reactions: VaruLV

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
If you're taking it to the Apple Store, it may not take a week. They should let you know when the part is in before you leave it there. Mine was ready the next afternoon after I left it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Take it to Apple (again) AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
It's getting near the end of the warranty replacement period (4 years, I believe).
DON'T PUT THIS OFF.

If you let the keyboard replacement warranty run out, the repair is going to cost you at least $750, even if it's only for one key.

And this time, having had it repaired and in view of the fact that the next replacement is going to cost you, might be time to start thinking about a replacement...

Jinx Mac

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
San Anselmo, CA
I went through...Wait for it...EIGHT Macbook Pros with the butterfly keyboard - Yes, eight. They replaced my computer eight times. That keyboard is doomed and unless they will replace it with the MacBook keyboard that is currently in their pros & airs then you can expect it to happen again. On my last machine, they replaced the keyboard twice, the second time is holding (for now) and it is now being used by my high school kid - Meanwhile, I bought a new Pro with a solid keyboard. I was seething mad at Apple, but also totally linked with their products. I was beyond mad that I had to buy a whole new machine, but the new machine is a workhorse and the keyboard is fantastic. If your company will foot the bill, I would have them replace the faulty keyboard, turn that into your company, and request a new machine. Apparently, they can't put the latest keyboards in the machines that were made with the butterfly keyboard - I tried. Good luck and I feel your pain.

mcgandalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hampshire, United Kingdom
So the result is that I'm beingn couriered a brandn-new 14" MacBook Pro from my employer over the nenxt couple of days.

This pesky keyboard issue is costingn my companny a substanntial amountn of monney. As for 8 x keyboard replacementns... what ann embarrassmennt annd a disaster for Apple.

See this post for the issue I'm having with the n key - the letter which features inn my first name, my surname, my companyn nname andn my password...

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Why is the mail in option no lomger present for keyboard repair? It's a 2 hour drive each way to an Apple store.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
In all cases, my butterfly keyboard issues could be fixed with some agressive hammering of the keys, while turning the Mcbook around, and using a vacuum cleaner with a brush/hakr nozzle.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I will be picking up mine from its FOURTH keyboard repair tonight. This keyboard lasted an incredible 45 days (replaced on April 8th), it must be a worldwide record.

Asked the Apple Store if there is anything else they could do, they said all they would do is replace the top case - probably more expensive and wasteful than replacing the entire computer at this point.

Reactions: VaruLV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.