Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Apologies for the slightly long post, but need info before I dive into the macOS world. I have a DIY windows desktop that is long in the tooth and needs replacing. Thinking of getting a M1 mac mini (16gb RAM, 256GB HDD) due to form factor and reduce clutter on my desk.

1. My desktop has a second HDD which is my data drive, formatted as NTFS. If I were to put this in an external enclosure, will it work seamlessly with mac? I read that a mac can read from NTFS, but cannot write back unless I add some paid drivers, is this true?
  2. I have a WD MyCloud NAS that i back up my data drive into. Would this setup require changes? Will I have to rebuild my backup?
  3. I am hobbyist photographer and use Photoshop elements, any issues of this running on the mac?
  4. I am not looking for a 4k monitor at this time, I assume my existing 1080p hdmi input monitors should work fine with the mini?
  5. Anything else to consider.
Appreciate any inputs on this.

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
1. Correct.
2. Should be fine.
3. You'll have to purchase the Mac license if your current purchase doesn't already come with it.
4. Correct.
5. Your software selection options will shrink, but I never have a problem finding what I need.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I am hobbyist photographer and use Photoshop elements, any issues of this running on the mac?

I used and liked Photoshop Elements for years on both Windows and the Mac and it was the same, just like the full version of Photoshop, but missing some of the most advanced features. Later I bought the full Mac version of Photoshop but eventually needed to update to a newer version. Instead of paying for the full version, I picked up the Mac version of Photoshop Elements on sale for $60 IIRC. Was very disappointed with it. Most of the functionality was still there, but the user interface was different from the full version of Photoshop. And the big deal breaker for me was it had some sort of tabbed interface where you could not open images in separate, floating windows. I often want to have several images open in their own windows, and that was not possible in Elements.

So... not sure what your assumption is about Photoshop Elements, maybe you are already using this newer version on Windows? But if you have an older version, then you may not be happy with the current Mac version. As has already been said, you would have to purchase the Mac version because it's a different program. Personally, I just signed up for the Adobe Photography plan, which is $10/month and includes Photoshop, Lightroom, cloud storage and a bunch of other stuff.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I used and liked Photoshop Elements for years on both Windows and the Mac and it was the same, just like the full version of Photoshop, but missing some of the most advanced features. Later I bought the full Mac version of Photoshop but eventually needed to update to a newer version. Instead of paying for the full version, I picked up the Mac version of Photoshop Elements on sale for $60 IIRC. Was very disappointed with it. Most of the functionality was still there, but the user interface was different from the full version of Photoshop. And the big deal breaker for me was it had some sort of tabbed interface where you could not open images in separate, floating windows. I often want to have several images open in their own windows, and that was not possible in Elements.

So... not sure what your assumption is about Photoshop Elements, maybe you are already using this newer version on Windows? But if you have an older version, then you may not be happy with the current Mac version. As has already been said, you would have to purchase the Mac version because it's a different program. Personally, I just signed up for the Adobe Photography plan, which is $10/month and includes Photoshop, Lightroom, cloud storage and a bunch of other stuff.
Appreciate the feedback. I used Photoshop full version when Adobe did not have the subscription model. I did not want yet another monthly payment, so went for a one time purchase of Photoshop elements 2020. Though it doesn’t have all the bells & whistles of the full version, it works for my requirements. Luckily, the license is for both Windows & Mac, so one less expense if I do move over.

ntotrr

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Kingsport, TN
Appreciate the feedback. I used Photoshop full version when Adobe did not have the subscription model. I did not want yet another monthly payment, so went for a one time purchase of Photoshop elements 2020. Though it doesn’t have all the bells & whistles of the full version, it works for my requirements. Luckily, the license is for both Windows & Mac, so one less expense if I do move over.
I replaced my home-built Windows PC with a 2020 27" iMac this summer. I had no reservations about buying an Intel Mac. I'm a hobbyist photographer like you. I use the subscription-based Photoshop, it's the only subscription service I use. I bought my Mac with 8GB of RAM and upgraded it myself to 32GB and my photo apps run fast. I use two camera systems, Sigma and Canon and both cameras record large RAW files of around 60MB each (not to mention the converted TIFF and JPG files) so I make diligent use of an external drive for all of my photos, as well as music and all personal files like documents and spreadsheets. I use Sigma's Photo Pro software to convert the Sigma RAW files as Adobe Camera RAW does not support the files and for a slow-running software, it runs pretty fast on my Mac. I've been thinking about ditching Photoshop for different software since I don't use most of the powerful features of Photoshop. Affinity Photo and Luminar are considerations.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

BE AWARE
that there are rumors that a much nicer "m1pro Mini" is "waiting in the wings" and will be released soon.

I think it could arrive by next March, or sooner.
But again, it's a rumor and I could be wrong.

Having said that...
I don't believe the Mac OS can write to NTFS (although it may be able to read it).
If you were going to use that drive as "a regular drive" with the Mini, your best option would be to RE-FORMAT it to a Mac format (HFS+ for a platter-based data drive is best).

Of course, you will need to back up the data that's on it first, and restore it afterwards.

Your 1080p display should work fine. That's what I use with my 2018 Mini.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
OP:

BE AWARE
that there are rumors that a much nicer "m1pro Mini" is "waiting in the wings" and will be released soon.

Having said that...
I don't believe the Mac OS can write to NTFS (although it may be able to read it).
If you were going to use that drive as "a regular drive" with the Mini, your best option would be to RE-FORMAT it to a Mac format (HFS+ for a platter-based data drive is best).

Of course, you will need to back up the data that's on it first, and restore it afterwards.

Thanks for heads-up. I did see the news. I wouldn't mind the wait for few more months.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I replaced my home-built Windows PC with a 2020 27" iMac this summer. I had no reservations about buying an Intel Mac. I'm a hobbyist photographer like you. I use the subscription-based Photoshop, it's the only subscription service I use. I bought my Mac with 8GB of RAM and upgraded it myself to 32GB and my photo apps run fast. I use two camera systems, Sigma and Canon and both cameras record large RAW files of around 60MB each (not to mention the converted TIFF and JPG files) so I make diligent use of an external drive for all of my photos, as well as music and all personal files like documents and spreadsheets. I use Sigma's Photo Pro software to convert the Sigma RAW files as Adobe Camera RAW does not support the files and for a slow-running software, it runs pretty fast on my Mac. I've been thinking about ditching Photoshop for different software since I don't use most of the powerful features of Photoshop. Affinity Photo and Luminar are considerations.
One my primary reasons of switching to Photoshop elements was switching camera systems as well. I went from Canon FF to Fuji and my old Photoshop did not support RAW from Fuji.

ntotrr

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Kingsport, TN
One my primary reasons of switching to Photoshop elements was switching camera systems as well. I went from Canon FF to Fuji and my old Photoshop did not support RAW from Fuji.
You always have the option of using Fuji's RAW convertor. I prefer to use the camera manufacturer's convertor. My thinking is that they know how to convert their RAW files better than anyone else. That's just me. Others prefer a more streamlined workflow than having to use one app to convert RAW files, save them, and then use another photo app to further adjust their photos.

I'm fine with a workflow that entails using one app to convert RAW files, saving them as TIFFs, and then using a photo editor like Photoshop or another to further process the photo - including sharpening. The sharpening aspect is very important. INO, you should sharpen a photo after either upsizing or downsizing for final use. For example, I save a RAW file as a TIFF and then process it in Photoshop. I do my adjustments on the TIFF, then I downsize the photo to 1125x750 pixels (for online posting purposes), sharpen it, then "Save as" a JPG. I do not sharpen the full-size TIFF and then downsize the photo to save as a JPG.

Reactions: vgk80

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
OP:

BE AWARE

Having said that...

The adorama black friday deal for $789 is very tempting at the moment…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.