Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Hi, I have been looking around and waiting for better model to come out but I never was brave enough to purchase one when I get the chance :p.

I finally realize that I really do need a Digital camera but I am just not sure if I will need both Compact Camera and also DSLR...

I do understand the compact camera's portability but when I do buy it I might be going to get DSLR pretty soon after the purchase xD

I have considered Canon SD1100IS or Canon SD880IS for the compact camera and Canon Rebel XSI or XS for the DSLR model.

I am just not sure what to do as a beginner to start in Digital Photography world.
Please advice me on what to do~
p.s. I live in Canada and I do feel like I am missing all the good deals happening in US( ex) amazon ). If you have purchased some products in Canada please feel free to mention any store :D

Thanks in advance! Have a great day~

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
I finally realize that I really do need a Digital camera but I am just not sure if I will need both Compact Camera and also DSLR...

I do understand the compact camera's portability but when I do buy it I might be going to get DSLR pretty soon after the purchase xD
It all depends on your budget. If you have the budget for a DSLR, then I would get it. You can learn more about the fine points of photography.

However, if you don't then and would have to wait a while to get it, I'd go with the compact one rather than keeping yourself from photographing.

There are some pretty good ones out there and you can still learn photography with them. Google something like digital compact cam reviews or something similar and read reviews. Or since you seem to have some idea, google reviews on the ones you have in mind.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you buy a DSLR, you might end up leaving it at home most of the time.

Just get one of the acceptable compacts and get a DSLR when you become critical of your results.

ckseid

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Los Angeles
A DSLR will give you better image quality. Since the sensor size is larger, it will give you better low light capabilities too. Shooting in a dim area? Don't want to use flash? A DSLR will perform better in this area. Shooting Sports? A DSLR will have faster frame rate. It will also have less lag between when you press the shutter and when it captures the image. Of course, a DSLR will be much larger.

If you are serious about photography, a DSLR is the way to go.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well this is a pretty easy answer actually, firstly are you wiling to be serious in Photography? Cause if you don't then get a PnS, the chances of you bringing it around is much more higher then a dSLR.
Another factor to consider is, are you willing to spend on lenses and accessories? If not don't, a PnS usually has more range then a entry level dSLR with a kit lens.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Well this is a pretty easy answer actually, firstly are you wiling to be serious in Photography? Cause if you don't then get a PnS, the chances of you bringing it around is much more higher then a dSLR.
Another factor to consider is, are you willing to spend on lenses and accessories? If not don't, a PnS usually has more range then a entry level dSLR with a kit lens.

I have always wanted to get into photography. So yes, I am willing to spend money and time for it for one of my hobbies. I do agree and considered possible answers from all of you guys but one thing that bugs me is that if you own a decent dSLR is that mean you won't use PnS cameras??

I have looked into some reviews but I can't tell the big difference in between Canon SD880IS and SD1100IS other than megapixel and the bigger screen.

Thanks all for your answers ~ I've already saved up for a dSLR but I am just wondering which will be more useful for me... I guess deep down in me I want to get both dSLR and also PnS...

If you were me what would you get first ??

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I have always wanted to get into photography. So yes, I am willing to spend money and time for it for one of my hobbies. I do agree and considered possible answers from all of you guys but one thing that bugs me is that if you own a decent dSLR is that mean you won't use PnS cameras??

Well, I had a mega-zoom lens on my Canon 20D, but to save time and effort, I took general shots with my Canon P&S A460 so I didn't have to change lenses back and forth.

I love Canon P&S cameras - great images for low priced cameras.

Get an inexpensive Canon P&S to get you started taking pics right away and save for a Canon dSLR...

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Well, I had a mega-zoom lens on my Canon 20D, but to save time and effort, I took general shots with my Canon P&S A460 so I didn't have to change lenses back and forth.

I love Canon P&S cameras - great images for low priced cameras.

Get an inexpensive Canon P&S to get you started taking pics right away and save for a Canon dSLR...

Alright thank you for your reply!
I think I will go ahead and get a PnS camera... Any thoughts on which model I should get?? I am thinking between SD1100 and SD880 or SD960.
SD1100 is about 140~180 in CDN$
I am not too sure if spending more money on SD880 or even SD960 worth my money since I will be saving up for DSLR pretty soon.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
My P&S is the much older A460 - great shots. For work I have the A470, cheap (US$86) but nice shots at lower ISO speeds.

Here's the A480 at Amazon Canada:

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-PowerSho...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242705017&sr=8-15

Get the least expensive that uses AA batteries (instead of special rechargeable - you can just run to the store to get them in case you are on vacation and your batteries run out).

Then, spend the rest of the money on your dSLR. When you get a Canon Rebel dSLR, you can use the same cards.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
would you be able to afford an SLR, one or two good lenses, and a good p&s?

another thing to consider, though it might not apply to you: after seeing how much more detail SLRs can resolve, and the flexibility of RAW, there aren't many point-and-shoots that give me the image quality and control i want. there are a few that can rival SLRs in image quality, but this only applies in ideal or near-ideal conditions, and it just so happen that they cost almost as much (or as much) as an entry-level SLR (see Lumix LX3, Canon G10, Sigma DP1).

however, i intend to print anything i take that's worth printing, and i don't like printing much smaller than 8x12. the larger the print, the more apparent the advantages of a larger sensor. if you mostly just upload to the web and/or don't print larger than 4x6 or 5x7, the difference may not be obvious.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
You're going to need both!

There are so many times I wish I had a compact P&S while strolling about town. The iPhone just doesn't take good pics, yet. And I don't take my DSLR out, unless I am planning to use it.

My advice, buy a P&S now, and then start saving for the DSLR.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
My P&S is the much older A460 - great shots. For work I have the A470, cheap (US$86) but nice shots at lower ISO speeds.

Here's the A480 at Amazon Canada:

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-PowerSho...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242705017&sr=8-15

Get the least expensive that uses AA batteries (instead of special rechargeable - you can just run to the store to get them in case you are on vacation and your batteries run out).

Then, spend the rest of the money on your dSLR. When you get a Canon Rebel dSLR, you can use the same cards.

Thank you, GKARRIS for awesome advice! Although your suggestion of getting A480 seems very convincing and practical, I really think I am up for SD1100 because I don't want to put up with AA batteries :p

would you be able to afford an SLR, one or two good lenses, and a good p&s?

another thing to consider, though it might not apply to you: after seeing how much more detail SLRs can resolve, and the flexibility of RAW, there aren't many point-and-shoots that give me the image quality and control i want. there are a few that can rival SLRs in image quality, but this only applies in ideal or near-ideal conditions, and it just so happen that they cost almost as much (or as much) as an entry-level SLR (see Lumix LX3, Canon G10, Sigma DP1).

however, i intend to print anything i take that's worth printing, and i don't like printing much smaller than 8x12. the larger the print, the more apparent the advantages of a larger sensor. if you mostly just upload to the web and/or don't print larger than 4x6 or 5x7, the difference may not be obvious.

I am just a beginner xD I will need so much more equips/money/more time to grow in this photography! Thank you for the advice!

You're going to need both!

There are so many times I wish I had a compact P&S while strolling about town. The iPhone just doesn't take good pics, yet. And I don't take my DSLR out, unless I am planning to use it.

My advice, buy a P&S now, and then start saving for the DSLR.

Thank you iVeBeenDrinkin'! It is clear now to me that I will need a PnS to start off and I will be purchasing SD1100!

Thank you all once again for answering my questions and helping me decide what to do ;D

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
That camera lacks wide angle and priority modes. Look at the Panasonic FX500.

I just posted a question about buying between SD1100 and SD880.
Thank you for your suggestion but I think I want to stick with Canon unless there is no reason for me to just look at Canon models?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Canon makes many good cameras, but it doesn't mean there aren't better alternatives at different ranges.

Most P&S suck. You cannot just go by brand.

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Check current reviews for P&S cameras to get an idea of what's good and what isn't.
Many will post here what they've bought, and maybe suggest the model that replaced it, or the one after that. It's all unreliable. Get current reviews. Canon Ixus 65 was a top P&S when I bought it (can't remember when) but I wouldn't recommend it now, you need to read the independent reviews to work out how each compares to other P&S, from guys that have reviewed many, many cameras.
You'll also find in general, Canon owners will only recommend Canons, Nikon owners are only slightly better.

Some may agree, some may disagree, don't make a big deal out of the megapixel count above a certain point. More MP doesn't give you better pictures, just bigger pictures. Anything above 6MP in a P&S will make no difference, if you're not going to print above A4.

The only caveat about P&S is that there's not an awful lot to learn about using it (obviously).
A DSLR will give you the opportunity to learn about setting the aperture or exposure, or white balance manually to achieve desired effects.
It would let you learn what limits you're happy with under each set of shooting conditions, ie. never above ISO 800, exposures never over 1/60s - or about 1 / focal length for some - some say this changed with Image Stabilisation, some say not, whether to use +1EV or +2EV for shooting in snow, etc. All things you experiment with to get a desired effect.

Each camera user has their own preferences, closely tied to the area of photography they prefer - I do scenery, architecture and wildlife and I'm quite good at it.
I'm a complete duffer at sports and all indoor photography.
People is a hit and miss, I get better results with my old Ixus, people are just intimidated by the big D3 or D300 (Nikon). But then the best shot I ever took was my very first shot with my D3, of my (then 14 month old) son.
These are all things you'll want to learn for yourself. And a DSLR will give you the chance to experiment with the available functions.

Top tip, don't be scared of going into a real camera shop and ask for help, ask to see, feel, use what they've got, ask what they use, what they started with (you don't have to take the advice). And if you suggest you may buy there, if you've spent more than 20-30 minutes chatting, building a rapport, ask for discount, as much as possible. There's a world recession on, I always ask and it always comes out cheaper than any web price (+postage) and I come away feeling more informed, even if the shop owner uses a Canon :D

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
I just posted a question about buying between SD1100 and SD880.
Thank you for your suggestion but I think I want to stick with Canon unless there is no reason for me to just look at Canon models?

Can you go to a local camera store or major retailer(best buy, target, etc) to try 'em out? It's nice to actually touch and feel the camera before buying it and see how easy it is to use(e.g. menu system).

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Check current reviews for P&S cameras to get an idea of what's good and what isn't.
Many will post here what they've bought, and maybe suggest the model that replaced it, or the one after that. It's all unreliable. Get current reviews. Canon Ixus 65 was a top P&S when I bought it (can't remember when) but I wouldn't recommend it now, you need to read the independent reviews to work out how each compares to other P&S, from guys that have reviewed many, many cameras.
You'll also find in general, Canon owners will only recommend Canons, Nikon owners are only slightly better.

Some may agree, some may disagree, don't make a big deal out of the megapixel count above a certain point. More MP doesn't give you better pictures, just bigger pictures. Anything above 6MP in a P&S will make no difference, if you're not going to print above A4.

The only caveat about P&S is that there's not an awful lot to learn about using it (obviously).
A DSLR will give you the opportunity to learn about setting the aperture or exposure, or white balance manually to achieve desired effects.
It would let you learn what limits you're happy with under each set of shooting conditions, ie. never above ISO 800, exposures never over 1/60s - or about 1 / focal length for some - some say this changed with Image Stabilisation, some say not, whether to use +1EV or +2EV for shooting in snow, etc. All things you experiment with to get a desired effect.

Each camera user has their own preferences, closely tied to the area of photography they prefer - I do scenery, architecture and wildlife and I'm quite good at it.
I'm a complete duffer at sports and all indoor photography.
People is a hit and miss, I get better results with my old Ixus, people are just intimidated by the big D3 or D300 (Nikon). But then the best shot I ever took was my very first shot with my D3, of my (then 14 month old) son.
These are all things you'll want to learn for yourself. And a DSLR will give you the chance to experiment with the available functions.

Top tip, don't be scared of going into a real camera shop and ask for help, ask to see, feel, use what they've got, ask what they use, what they started with (you don't have to take the advice). And if you suggest you may buy there, if you've spent more than 20-30 minutes chatting, building a rapport, ask for discount, as much as possible. There's a world recession on, I always ask and it always comes out cheaper than any web price (+postage) and I come away feeling more informed, even if the shop owner uses a Canon :D

Oh wow! Thank you so much for your insightful reply and your experience! The thing is Many local stores that is close enough or close don't carry Canon SD 880 IS for some reason. One store I found actually carries it but doesn't have it at the local store so the owner has to call in to order one :rolleyes:! I would love to get some discounts but I am too scared to bring that subject up haha~ I am very excited about the beauty of photography after hearing your story ;) It is very hard for me to decide what to get since I have never own a camera period. Sure, my family members own it and all but not my personal camera... I personally don't even like taking picture of my self in front of the camera :eek:
Hopefully things will change and I would love to hear more of the personal stories of beginning of your journeys in Photography~

Thanks Berty once again and to all ~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.