Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Hi, I would like to hear your opinions on my purchase intentions for University. I need a Mac laptop and at the moment the best option would be the MacBook, especially for the display, even if the Air offers better performance, and this is why I would surely opt for the Air if they presented one with a better display. Now, I want to buy the MacBook with the Back to school promo. But, I'M not sure really if it'b be better to wait till September event, in the case they present a new Air or MacBook"impossible". If they upgrade the Air it'b be a obvious choice for me . If not I will have to buy the MacBook without Back to School promo. A trade-off could be buying the MacBook regardless "with back school promo", and then wait for the event. in the best scenario I'll give back the MacBook and buy the new air so that I can keep the Beats included in the promo. Do you think it possible for the hypothetical new air to be on the shelves "virtual shelves" before the 19th September "there's the constraint of being only 14 the days during which they accept product return on the Apple Store Online". So do you think that if they present a new Air I'll be able to change the MacBook with the Air in time? I mean if it will be purchasable by the end of the return product period.
Here they are, the terms of the back to school promo:
http://images.apple.com/promo/pdf/US_Summer_Beats_2016_TCs.pdf
From what I read, it seems possible to change the product purchased without losing the Beats after the end of the promo, say 10 sept:
* Promo Products may be exchanged only for another Promo Product, and Qualified Purchaser shall be responsible for any difference in price. Any Promo Product returned for a refund must be returned with the Eligible Product in order to receive a full refund.
I can't ask in an Apple Store if this operation would be possible because the nearest is 500 km. As you see I will have to do all the staff from Apple Online Store. If some one asked for me to A genius boy or things like that I would be grateful.

brammahh

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Belgium
* Promo Products may be exchanged only for another Promo Product

If a new Air get's introduced, it isn't a 'Promo Product'. Only the old Airs are, I believe. You can buy a Mac with the free Beats and return them if a new MacBook Air gets introduced, but forget about the Beats. The new Air may ship later than the 14-days return window and you can't just keep the Beats, Apple is smarter than you think.

Question of course is, will a new Air get released? Personally, I don't think so. The MacBook is a wonderful device and after using the MacBook for 10 minutes, the Air looks like crap to me.. It'll be interesting to see if there's a place for the Air in the Mac lineup in the future.

Reactions: Mal67

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
I don't know about the promos but I can't see the Air being upgraded with a better display. I could see it being updated/catching up with skylake, like most other manufacturers. I could see 8 gig being offered on the 11" off the shelf and I would love to see a usb 3.1 connector on there. I'm not sure what they could do in the remainder of 2016 with the current MB other than a price drop as it was updated earlier this year and if they were to release a 14" MB for example I would imagine it being quite a bit more expensive. At this stage there doesn't seem to be any rumors about Air changes that show casings etc. May as well wait it out for as long as possible and get the MB if nothing has changed in the promo availability period. My 2c

Reactions: Frank7f and old-wiz

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple holds off releasing newer models, until the promotions have expired. I don't see any way of getting a newer model and the free headphones - if I read the OP correctly

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks for all the replies.
Does this applies also to purchases through Apple Online Store?

Attachments

• IMG_6481.PNG
    IMG_6481.PNG
    164.3 KB · Views: 290

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
edit -- on second thought, not sure what the question is.
As others have said, get what you need.

Last edited:

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Hi, I would like to hear your opinions on my purchase intentions for University. I need a Mac laptop and at the moment the best option would be the MacBook, especially for the display, even if the Air offers better performance, and this is why I would surely opt for the Air if they presented one with a better display. Now, I want to buy the MacBook with the Back to school promo. But, I'M not sure really if it'b be better to wait till September event, in the case they present a new Air or MacBook"impossible". If they upgrade the Air it'b be a obvious choice for me . If not I will have to buy the MacBook without Back to School promo. A trade-off could be buying the MacBook regardless "with back school promo", and then wait for the event. in the best scenario I'll give back the MacBook and buy the new air so that I can keep the Beats included in the promo. Do you think it possible for the hypothetical new air to be on the shelves "virtual shelves" before the 19th September "there's the constraint of being only 14 the days during which they accept product return on the Apple Store Online". So do you think that if they present a new Air I'll be able to change the MacBook with the Air in time? I mean if it will be purchasable by the end of the return product period.
Here they are, the terms of the back to school promo:
http://images.apple.com/promo/pdf/US_Summer_Beats_2016_TCs.pdf
From what I read, it seems possible to change the product purchased without losing the Beats after the end of the promo, say 10 sept:
* Promo Products may be exchanged only for another Promo Product, and Qualified Purchaser shall be responsible for any difference in price. Any Promo Product returned for a refund must be returned with the Eligible Product in order to receive a full refund.
I can't ask in an Apple Store if this operation would be possible because the nearest is 500 km. As you see I will have to do all the staff from Apple Online Store. If some one asked for me to A genius boy or things like that I would be grateful.

Wait for the 14 MB or the 15"MBA

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Does what the second paragraph says apply also to Apple Online Store purchases.
Yes. Notice they don't limit as to where the product was purchased --" Should Apple reduce its price on any Apple-branded product within 14 calendar days from the date you receive your product "-- then it continues with your options to receive refund or credit.

And, there's the 14 day Apple return window. If you are dissatisfied for any reason with a Mac, you may return it at Apple's expense. For US :

Apple wants you to be thrilled with your new purchase. However, if you need to return an item, we're here to help.

Standard Return Policy

There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product (not purchased in volume) you purchased online from Apple:

• You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
  • Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.
http://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

PS : I once had to return an order because I was legitimately dissatisfied. Apple and I did what the 14 day policy says without issue. Smooth sailing. They were stand-up, as was I.

Reactions: Frank7f
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.