Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Hello all! I am facing a dilemma of whether to purchase a Geek Squad refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) for $79 off the list price but without the availability of AppleCare, or a brand new one at list with the opportunity to purchase AppleCare. There's also the same opportunity with a Cellular model for $64 off the list price.

Which is the better deal: saving $64-$79 dollars, or having the opportunity to purchase AppleCare?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello all! I am facing a dilemma of whether to purchase a Geek Squad refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) for $79 off the list price but without the availability of AppleCare, or a brand new one at list with the opportunity to purchase AppleCare. There's also the same opportunity with a Cellular model for $64 off the list price.

Which is the better deal: saving $64-$79 dollars, or having the opportunity to purchase AppleCare?
Have you considered getting an Apple refurbished watch? Those are not quite as cheap as the Bestbuy "refurb" (which is really just a used watch), but is eligible for AppleCare and includes a full one year Apple warranty. I'd trust the Apple refurb over one from Best Buy.

Reactions: 0970373

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Have you considered getting an Apple refurbished watch? Those are not quite as cheap as the Bestbuy "refurb" (which is really just a used watch), but is eligible for AppleCare and includes a full one year Apple warranty. I'd trust the Apple refurb over one from Best Buy.

The model that I wanted isn't currently available on the refurbished site. (42mm Space Gray Al Nike+ w/ Black/Anthracite)

With the Macy's EPP discount a family member has, I ended up saving $15 dollars buying brand new from Apple. (I paid $500, regularly $515)

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Why can you not get AppleCare? Just go to Apple and purchase it after the fact. You have 60 days and must show the proof of purchase, plus the device being in an "approved" condition.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/watch.html

Normally, even on open-box (not refurb) models, BB advertises AppleCare at two points during the online sale. It is not advertised at any point during the purchasing process with these refurbished watches. I ran into this with an iPad I purchased in-store earlier this year. It is important to maintain the difference between open-box and refurbished, as they mean different things in BB's world.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Normally, even on open-box (not refurb) models, BB advertises AppleCare at two points during the online sale. It is not advertised at any point during the purchasing process with these refurbished watches. I ran into this with an iPad I purchased in-store earlier this year. It is important to maintain the difference between open-box and refurbished, as they mean different things in BB's world.
But what do they mean to Apple? You can take any purchased product from a third party to Apple and purchase Apple Care directly from them for the device.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
But what do they mean to Apple? You can take any purchased product from a third party to Apple and purchase Apple Care directly from them for the device.

Not the case with iPad Pro I mentioned earlier.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Not the case with iPad Pro I mentioned earlier.
Did you try to take it to Apple? Just asking because the post does not reflect that explicitly.

Additionally, if the Apple Watch was refurb as your original posts says, Apple should allow you to purchase AppleCare.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Did you try to take it to Apple? Just asking because the post does not reflect that explicitly.

Additionally, if the Apple Watch was refurb as your original posts says, Apple should allow you to purchase AppleCare.

Are you suggesting that even though the sales rep couldn't attach AppleCare to the iPad at POS, I may have had success by calling Apple?

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Are you suggesting that even though the sales rep couldn't attach AppleCare to the iPad at POS, I may have had success by calling Apple?
Precisely. Apologize if that was not coming through previously, but you can take an Apple product bought at Best Buy or any other vendor and purchase AppleCare after the fact. Just need to do it within the timeframe that Apple outlines on the products AppleCare page (Apple Watch in this instance):

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

Ditto.

The model that I wanted isn't currently available on the refurbished site. (42mm Space Gray Al Nike+ w/ Black/Anthracite)

With the Macy's EPP discount a family member has, I ended up saving $15 dollars buying brand new from Apple. (I paid $500, regularly $515)

I have the Nike version and the only difference is the Nike face which I personally haven't found to be much better than any of the other activity faces. It's mostly just a status symbol thing, IMO. So it's just weighing your priorities.

* BB has the price point and watch/band combo you want - use a credit card w/ purchase protection but be sure to check w/ them on refurb items or what BB's policy is. I don't think you can add Apple Care for a reseller refurb.

* Apple will give you the 1 yr warranty and option to add Apple Care. The watch is available and you can just buy the band separately. There are also tons of knock offs on ebay & Amazon.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Precisely. Apologize if that was not coming through previously, but you can take an Apple product bought at Best Buy or any other vendor and purchase AppleCare after the fact. Just need to do it within the timeframe that Apple outlines on the products AppleCare page (Apple Watch in this instance):

Thanks for outlining this. I'll keep it in mind if I buy a refurbished product from Best Buy in the future.

As I mentioned above, this time I was able to get a(n) (admittedly skimpy) 2.84% discount on a brand new LTE model with AppleCare right from Apple by utilizing a family member's EPP discount.

Any savings at all helps a lot, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: cwanja

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for outlining this. I'll keep it in mind if I buy a refurbished product from Best Buy in the future.

As I mentioned above, this time I was able to get a(n) (admittedly skimpy) 2.84% discount on a brand new LTE model with AppleCare right from Apple by utilizing a family member's EPP discount.

Any savings at all helps a lot, if you know what I mean.

Have you checked w/ your health insurance? I bought my 42mm S3 watch with a $100 discount through Aetna brand new.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Have you checked w/ your health insurance? I bought my 42mm S3 watch with a $100 discount through Aetna brand new.

I have state insurance, so I don't think there would be anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.