Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catherine St-Pierre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
Hi!

I have a Macbook pro 2013 and I'm looking for an upgrade. I have the choice of buying a Macbook Pro 2017 or a Macbook Air 2019 for the same price. I mainly use my computer for university, streaming services and online shopping.

There's also the other option that I could wait until 2020. I've read some issues about the keyboard now and I type a lot. So I wanted to have your opinions on which one I should buy or if I should just wait? :)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
On average Macs have 5 to 7 years before they are considered obsolete. That is to say Apple stops issuing software updates and may even refuse to repair machines it has listed as “no longer supported.” An obsolete Mac may continue to give good service for years but without routine security updates it will be vulnerable to hacking. For this reason I’ve always told people to buy the most machine they can afford. If you can afford the extra $$$ buy the 2020 MBP. In 5 years it will be worth more and be more useful than the other models you mention. Also your needs may change in the future. A new job may require a computer with more guts than a MBA. Just my opinion but buy the most computer you can afford.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.