Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPS127

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
I currently have an iPad Air, which is great, but is starting to show its age. I primarily use it for reading, and am considering moving to a Mini. Does anyone think there'll be an upgrade on the current model (4) soon, or should I go for it now?

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
I wouldn't hold my breath for an updated iPad Mini anytime soon; the last update happened 2.5 years ago (in September 2015) and there were some rumors last year suggesting that Apple might be discontinuing the iPad Mini line.

So if it's absolutely a Mini you want, I'd say go for it now, but do be warned that the current iPad Mini isn't really a great deal (at least for the price that Apple sells them) compared to the normal iPad line. It only has an A8 which wouldn't be a huge step-up from your iPad Air performance wise (which has an A7 I believe), and the $399 it sells for isn't so great when you consider that the most recent iPad starts at $329 and yet features the faster A9 processor and other benefits over the Mini. There are also strong rumors about an update to the iPad line later this month which would make the gap even larger.

JPS127

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
I wouldn't hold my breath for an updated iPad Mini anytime soon; the last update happened 2.5 years ago (in September 2015) and there were some rumors last year suggesting that Apple might be discontinuing the iPad Mini line.

So if it's absolutely a Mini you want, I'd say go for it now, but do be warned that the current iPad Mini isn't really a great deal (at least for the price that Apple sells them) compared to the normal iPad line. It only has an A8 which wouldn't be a huge step-up from your iPad Air performance wise (which has an A7 I believe), and the $399 it sells for isn't so great when you consider that the most recent iPad starts at $329 and yet features the faster A9 processor and other benefits over the Mini. There are also strong rumors about an update to the iPad line later this month which would make the gap even larger.

Good point. Much to think about. Thanks.

yazounet

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2014
I would go for an iPad mini 4. because that's exactly what I did. (Sold my mini2) and got the mini4 128GB for $249 during Black Friday.

JPS127

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
I would go for an iPad mini 4. because that's exactly what I did. (Sold my mini2) and got the mini4 128GB for $249 during Black Friday.

That was my thinking, though I'm wondering if there'll be a 5 at all. It's past due.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There's an Apple event on March 27 during which Apple may introduce an updated 9.7" iPad.

Forget about an updated mini, it's not going to happen.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I upgraded from my 3 1/2 year old Air last month to the mini 4, and I’ve been really happy with it. Still, I’d wait until at least next week’s event to see if anything relevant is announced. If an updated mini or 9.7” are revealed, those would be better buys IMO.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

JPS127

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
I’d atleast wait til after March 27th
That's my plan.
[doublepost=1521545983][/doublepost]
I upgraded from my 3 1/2 year old Air last month to the mini 4, and I’ve been really happy with it. Still, I’d wait until at least next week’s event to see if anything relevant is announced. If an updated mini or 9.7” are revealed, those would be better buys IMO.
Good advice. Many thanks!

Reactions: Brandonjr36
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.