Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Is there any prediction as to when AirPower is being released? Should I buy from a third party or wait? If it’s more than 2 months away it’s too much. I’m tired of cables.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is there any prediction as to when AirPower is being released? Should I buy from a third party or wait? If it’s more than 2 months away it’s too much. I’m tired of cables.

Even if there was a prediction, it doesn’t make it accurate. As for the release of the Airpower, It’s slated to release in 2018, which could be during WWDC or during the iPhone Keynote in the fall. To truly appreciate AirPower, I think it be more beneficial if somebody actually had iPhone 8/X, Series 3 Apple Watch and the unreleased AirPod wireless charging battery case.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
t is completely over priced. There has already been a similar device on eBay for much less. This like the HomePod is another too late to matter product.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
There was a time when vapourware was a term attached to Microsoft. Now, it is Apple. They announce, and release months later. They used to be proud of the fact that they would announce things and people could buy them that very day. If I had bought an 8/X in September/ November, I would still bet waiting for an Apple supplied wireless charger.

Reactions: motulist and rmoliv

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
t is completely over priced. There has already been a similar device on eBay for much less. This like the HomePod is another too late to matter product.
Hardly

No product on the market can charge your phone and watch like this.

It will cost alot but being able to charge two phones and a watch is rare.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Even if there was a prediction, it doesn’t make it accurate. As for the release of the Airpower, It’s slated to release in 2018, which could be during WWDC or during the iPhone Keynote in the fall. To truly appreciate AirPower, I think it be more beneficial if somebody actually had iPhone 8/X, Series 3 Apple Watch and the unreleased AirPod wireless charging battery case.

I think as long as you have two devices it's worth it.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I have the iPhone 8 Plus and the AirPods. Had the Watch 3, got rid of it but will buy the next Series if there is one. Anyway what could possibly be taking them so long? Is there any logic to it? Make people buy third party accessories from Belkin or mophie?

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008

I didn’t realize Apple had announced the price already.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
These things were $20 a few months ago, so I got a half dozen of em and put them in convenient places around the house.

TYLT VU Qi Wireless Phone Charging Pad: 3 Coil Stand & Fast Battery Charger Station for Compatible iPhone Galaxy Note Lumia Droid DNA LG Google & Android Cell Phones (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DG8NVQI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ECxYAbXSDXCBR

It’s been great. I prefer a slow/gentle charge to the fast ones (or you could have both) because my charging is usually done overnight or not in a rush. It makes a big difference having the phone at an angle so you can see it.

Reactions: motulist

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
It’s been great. I prefer a slow/gentle charge to the fast ones (or you could have both) because my charging is usually done overnight or not in a rush. It makes a big difference having the phone at an angle so you can see it.

Thanks. However I need fast charging because I always have brightness set to 100% and tons of GPS apps that drain a lot of battery. Plus I browse the Internet a lot.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think as long as you have two devices it's worth it.

Look at this article. It’s indicating a possible release for the iPhone 8 in the Product Red, perhaps the Airpower will also be silently updated alongside the new Color if this is true. So there might be hope for you achieving your Airpower if this is rumor is True tomorrow.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...iphone-8-and-iphone-8-plus-on-monday.2114089/

Also, I don’t think anyone needs to have all three devices to appreciate the Airpower, it simply indicating it’s capabilities if somebody has all three devices (X/8/Wireless AirPod Case/Series 3) that it will support the Airpower. For example, I’m sure some will purchase the AirPower to simultaneously charge an iPhone 8 and iPhone X at the same time or maybe a Series 3 Watch and the wireless AirPod case.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Look at this article. It’s indicating a possible release for the iPhone 8 in the Product Red, perhaps the Airpower will also be silently updated alongside the new Color if this is true. So there might be hope for you achieving your Airpower power if this is rumor is True tomorrow.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...iphone-8-and-iphone-8-plus-on-monday.2114089/

Also, I don’t think anyone needs to have all three devices to appreciate the Airpower, it simply indicating it’s capabilities if somebody has all three devices (X/8/Wireless AirPod Case/Series 3) that it will support the Airpower. For example, I’m sure some will purchase the AirPower to simultaneously charge an iPhone 8 and iPhone X at the same time or maybe a Series 3 Watch and the wireless AirPod case.

True. I wondered how the poster thought that three devices were needed to appreciate the charging mat. It goes to show how influential marketing is.

Reactions: 44267547

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Wait for AirPower. Your wait will be so worth it. No wireless chargers will beat Apple made wireless charger especially the quality.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Wait for AirPower. Your wait will be so worth it. No wireless chargers will beat Apple made wireless charger especially the quality.

I hope it supports fast charging. Anyway, I'll wait. Looks like a release date might be announced tomorrow according to the link above.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Hardly
No product on the market can charge your phone and watch like this.
It will cost alot but being able to charge two phones and a watch is rare.

Since no Qi AirPods charger exists. This seems to be largely the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Apple-...hash=item2f19019dff:m:mbCUx8F-mhCSBZiKcXQ_qKg

I am sure once apple sells the Qi AirPods case (an extra cost even if you buy AirPower), eBay will have 3-way chargers as well. Guarantee all will be priced WAY less than apple.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
3rd parties Qi chargers are really cheap. I bought an OEM Samsung for $10 -- not the fast charger. Plenty of others to choose from 5w on up. I wouldn't wait for AirPower to enjoy wireless charging. Who knows when that will ship -- probably not until WWDC at the earliest. My guess is Apple will want to showcase it, and also it needs to push out the new wireless AirPod case and/or AirPods 2, and no rumors to indicate that is coming before WWDC, if then.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
https://www.theipmstore.com/product...-with-fast-qi-charger-charger-for-apple-watch
iPM 2 in 1 Wireless Charging Pad With Fast Qi Charger + Charger For Apple Watch

I got this for $35 (it's back up to $99 now). Here is where I, initially, found the deal.

https://www.cnet.com/news/charge-your-apple-watch-and-iphone-for-35/

Update 4/30/18
I have used this for about 2 weeks now. It performs as advertised. Both, watch and iPhone x, charge without a hitch. With the watch side you can lay it flat like the iPhone or pop it up and charge the watch vertically. I'm not sure that I would have paid $99 for it but, as far as I know, it's the only "show" in town. If there are others out there I don't know about them. When Apple's Charger appears I'll, most likely, get it. But for now this works just fine. Here is a link to their official site:
https://www.theipmstore.com/product...-with-fast-qi-charger-charger-for-apple-watch

Side note: I did pick up Apple's Watch magnetic charging dock. It appears to charge faster than my other watch chargers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.