Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miroki

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
This is going to be my first Mac and I have no idea my use case (java web development mainly, will ran mysql, MongoD, Reid’s, elastic search in the background, intellij and several tomcat or springboot apps for developing. Occasionally exploring other things with docker compose and maybe other vms. Excel in windows parallel vm.) needs how many gbs of ram. I currently use a win 10 hades canyon with 32GB ram and sometimes it hits 20+ gb ram without running any vm. now I don’t know if the number will be similar on a macO.
since I can’t upgrade ram later, I really don’t want to feel bad later when hitting the ram ceiling. But again, if I max out, I could waste $400 which could‘ve been for my next iPhone or whatever Mac apps I need.

I wonder if there is anybody who thought they needed 64gb ram and later found out they actually don’t? Or the other way around, anybody regrets for not getting 64gb? Please share. Thanks.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
This is going to be my first Mac and I have no idea my use case (java web development mainly, will ran mysql, MongoD, Reid’s, elastic search in the background, intellij and several tomcat or springboot apps for developing. Occasionally exploring other things with docker compose and maybe other vms. Excel in windows parallel vm.) needs how many gbs of ram. I currently use a win 10 hades canyon with 32GB ram and sometimes it hits 20+ gb ram without running any vm. now I don’t know if the number will be similar on a macO.
since I can’t upgrade ram later, I really don’t want to feel bad later when hitting the ram ceiling. But again, if I max out, I could waste $400 which could‘ve been for my next iPhone or whatever Mac apps I need.

I wonder if there is anybody who thought they needed 64gb ram and later found out they actually don’t? Or the other way around, anybody regrets for not getting 64gb? Please share. Thanks.
I don't NEED 64GB of RAM but I got it anyway because I don't like choosing specs that are NOT upgradeable and have buyer's remorse later if I need it as that would mean I'd have to sell my laptop at a big loss to get better specs It's better to have it and not need it (whether now or later) than not have it and regret it later.

Just my 2 cents.

But to give you a more sane answer, 32GB is probably all you'll need for what you want to do so yeah save that money towards another iPhone I'd say.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I bought a 2018 Mac mini with 64GB - not that dissimilar workload to yours, OP.

I won’t ever buy a machine with less than 64GB again (unless I’m buying it low and getting after market memory eg with a Mac Pro).
[automerge]1575343664[/automerge]
you're probably over speccing / spending, and 16gb is best.
16GB is the bare minimum you can buy in a MBP, it is definitely not “best”.

AmazinApple

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
New York, NY
I have 32GB on my 2019 MacBook Pro and no matter what I do I cannot get the memory pressure even close to the yellow even when I open every application on the machine and push it in ways that are unrealistic I don't even approach the limit. Photo/video editing won't get even close to putting pressure on 32GB. Unless you know you're going to be using the machine in a manner that necessitates the extreme use of memory I don't think 64GB is needed.

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I have 32GB on my 2019 MacBook Pro and no matter what I do I cannot get the memory pressure even close to the yellow even when I open every application on the machine and push it in ways that are unrealistic I don't even approach the limit.

Yeah I can't quite work out what causes Memory Pressure to hit the roof... I did a test on my 16gb the other day, loaded like 20 large projects in Figma, then a 8000x8000 doc in Photoshop and added like 10 layers etc.. Memory pressure didn't go up, but started using like 20gb of swap space. Maybe someone knows how to read this properly ?

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
What’s often omitted in these conversations is a single, basic, important question: how long do you plan on keeping the laptop?

You may not need 64 GB now, but what about at the end of however long you plan on keeping it? That’s the key.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I really have a hard time believing that someone who doesn't need 64GB of RAM today will find themselves needing it by the end of the likely lifespan of the product. If you really feel the need to future-proof, go with 32GB, but by the time macOS requires 64GB to be usable, the computer will be insanely out of date. In fact, it's very likely that the machine won't even support running that version of the OS, since Apple phases out support for older machines.

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
I really have a hard time believing that someone who doesn't need 64GB of RAM today will find themselves needing it by the end of the likely lifespan of the product. If you really feel the need to future-proof, go with 32GB, but by the time macOS requires 64GB to be usable, the computer will be insanely out of date. In fact, it's very likely that the machine won't even support running that version of the OS, since Apple phases out support for older machines.

RAM usage by Mac OS hasn't changed much over the years. Between 10.8 and 10.15, the difference I am seeing can be measured in 100s of megabytes not gigs.

Reactions: adib and hftvhftv

Idec50

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
TX
Has anyone tested relative thermal performance of MBPs with 64gb vs 32gb RAM? Should it make a difference?

Reactions: dlondon

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
I’m on the fence but tbh the amount of money I’m spending in the machine, doubling the RAM for that cost seems like a good deal. You might not use it very much day to day but it allows you to try new things...model VM labs, large datasets etc I sound like I’m convincing myself here :). You are unlikely to make it back on resale so the question then is, how much does the money mean to you?

miroki

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
I’m on the fence but tbh the amount of money I’m spending in the machine, doubling the RAM for that cost seems like a good deal. You might not use it very much day to day but it allows you to try new things...model VM labs, large datasets etc I sound like I’m convincing myself here :). You are unlikely to make it back on resale so the question then is, how much does the money mean to you?
oh boy you are my inner voice.

Reactions: kmahmood

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
Depends on your use. The only time I really need more than 16GB RAM is when I play Cities: Skyline with 1,000+ mods. Otherwise 16GB is more than enough for me.

Reactions: simonmet

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014

If you need the upgrade and can afford it, or your job / the work you do pays for it, then by all means do it, but $800 to go from 16 to 64GB on MacBook Pro and $1000 to go from 8 to 64GB on iMac is not a good deal no matter what way any of you try to spin this. I paid $288 for two 32GB Samsung modules for my iMac in August. Apple's RAM upgrade prices are ridiculous.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
64gb of ram is if you’re working with enormous datasets and your current computer (which presumably has 32gb of ram) is chugging along or acting slow.

for example if I have to load a giant dataset in matlab and it takes a while to manipulate it for whatever reason, then 64gb ram makes sense.

I can’t think of any other use cases (including gaming or video editing) that would REQUIRE 64gb of ram

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
If you need the upgrade and can afford it, or your job / the work you do pays for it, then by all means do it, but $800 to go from 16 to 64GB on MacBook Pro and $1000 to go from 8 to 64GB on iMac is not a good deal no matter what way any of you try to spin this. I paid $288 for two 32GB Samsung modules for my iMac in August. Apple's RAM upgrade prices are ridiculous.

I am talking more about the fact that going from 32->64 is approximately the same price as 16->32. Once you are at 32GB and the price of the machine is probably over 3K at that point, then doubling the RAM for that amount seems like okay value in the scheme of things. However I take the point that yes it is still more than you could go and purchase the memory for yourself.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
That kind of thinking is how people end up spending $500 or $1000 for a minor upgrade on a new car. Just because you’re already spending a lot of money doesn’t mean it makes sense to buy upgrades you don’t need and won’t notice. But I understand the impulse, and it has been made worse by the fact that you can’t upgrade them down the line, so everybody is paranoid about making a mistake and regretting it. But the people who need 64GB know it

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
The way Apple creates a desire to upgrade the RAM due to it’s immutability, and *then* capitalises on it by pricing the upgrade so high is a true Masterclass in product pricing.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
That kind of thinking is how people end up spending $500 or $1000 for a minor upgrade on a new car. Just because you’re already spending a lot of money doesn’t mean it makes sense to buy upgrades you don’t need and won’t notice. But I understand the impulse, and it has been made worse by the fact that you can’t upgrade them down the line, so everybody is paranoid about making a mistake and regretting it. But the people who need 64GB know it

You are right, I was looking at a 64GB/2TB combo and tbh I would be perfectly okay with a 32GB/1TB machine...also I’ll get a tech itch in 2.5 years with 6m Applecare left to upgrade to whatever is out then as well :). These scenarios I am dreaming up in my head are edge cases...unlikely to happen.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

For the average web surfing joe who is putting together a family photo album or video of a birthday party, no it is not a good deal.

But for a business case it lines up with both opportunity cost and peace of mind in having it be a factory install and therefore with a solid warranty.

Many of you keep going round and round and freaking round on this cost / benefit ratio stuff as if the only people buying this hardware are tech fans who just want to feel good or to have bragging rights.

Well obviously that is just not the case. Some of us bill out thousands a day as we fire hose gobs of data in and out of these things. Time is money and even a 25% gain in operation time while on the road or location can be many thousands in income per year.

I just don’t understand why a lot of you on these forums are so damn quick to push real pro use cases aside, it’s like you can’t even imagine there are people out there that this hardware in top spec form is utterly perfect for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.