Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motownflip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
First of all, I am a noob when it comes to dslr's. I'm buying this camera based on months of reading reviews and other peoples feedback. What I want to know is what would you recommend for lenses?

I will be using this camera to shoot mostly indoors. Dogs, people, etc. Saying that, I also would like to take this camera on vacation. I go to Cabo San Lucas yearly, so the beach and ocean will be my target there. We get to see some whales while there and a lot of family vacation with us.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The 18-70 or 18-135 "kit" lens would do everything you need. It is best to start there. For whales the 135 is better. For indoor shots a faster prime lens is always good. The 50mm f/1.8 is a great value. I find the my 85mm is to long to use inside smaller rooms unless I want just a "head shot". a 35mm prime would be nice but the 50mm is both cheaper and faster.

Start with one of Nikon's "kit" lenses then after a thousand or two frames you will know what shots you missed. Buy a second lens to get those shots. But if you shoot indoors you may find you want an SB600 speedlight more than you want a second lens. The D80's built-in flash works but all built-in flashes are in the exact worst place, right over the lens. The external lets you bounce the light.

First of all, I am a noob when it comes to dslr's. I'm buying this camera based on months of reading reviews and other peoples feedback. What I want to know is what would you recommend for lenses?

I will be using this camera to shoot mostly indoors. Dogs, people, etc. Saying that, I also would like to take this camera on vacation. I go to Cabo San Lucas yearly, so the beach and ocean will be my target there. We get to see some whales while there and a lot of family vacation with us.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

motownflip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Found a used package. Think I made a deal on it. It came with two lenses:
Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 55-200mm VR f/4-5.6

How will these do with what I'm trying to accomplish? I figure if they are not what I want, I'll just sell them and buy what I need. Please keep the info coming.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Found a used package. Think I made a deal on it. It came with two lenses:
Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 55-200mm VR f/4-5.6

How will these do with what I'm trying to accomplish? I figure if they are not what I want, I'll just sell them and buy what I need. Please keep the info coming.

You're missing an important range (18-55). The 50mm 1.4 is an EXCELLENT lens, but it isn't a great range in a tight room.

motownflip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
should i stay at 18-55 or go with something more versatile? Anyone else have any suggestions?

motownflip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
and astonishingly pricey!:eek: Got it today. Maybe I bit off more than I can chew. We'll see.....

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
and astonishingly pricey!:eek: Got it today. Maybe I bit off more than I can chew. We'll see.....

the 18-200mm? does it have VR?

If you don't find it too bulky, you could now sell off your 55-200mm, as the new lens covers that range pretty well, I've heard...

Congrats on your purchase!

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
The 18-200 has VR and is an awesome lens, for most shooters it can be their only lens for most subjects. I have an 18-135 and 55-200 for that range and wish I had the 18-200 VR. I will be getting it soon and selling those 2 other lenses. Get the 18-200 if you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.