Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbtalle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
ATL
Since I got a income tax refund and stuff, I've been looking into buying a new camera. I read in the 'G11 vs s90 thread' that the Canon s90 is a great point-n-shoot. I went onto flickr and saw a lot of photos that different folks took, and there were a lot of stellar photos there.

Now I don't know a whole lot about cameras, and now I'm really stuck on whether I should get a DSLR or an s90.

I'd rather have a nice point-n-shoot to carry around, but I wouldn't mind getting a DSLR because you can find them for about the same price used on eBay...

As a matter of fact, I can get a xTI on eBay for about $100 less than a new s90.

For an amateur like me who wants great photos, what would be good? Thoughts?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Many people have both a compact point and shoot and an SLR.

The way to tell which you need is ask yourself if the primary activity is photography or if it is something else. If it is photography then go for the SLR. But it you are always doing something else and just want a camera with you then find a point and shoot that is a LOT more compact than a G11.

If you do go for the LR, look at lenses first. Look at what you want now and might want later. thenn buy what ever brand or model body fits. "body first" is backwards. Shop for lenses, then brand then model in that order.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The way to tell which you need is ask yourself if the primary activity is photography or if it is something else. If it is photography then go for the SLR. But it you are always doing something else and just want a camera with you then find a point and shoot that is a LOT more compact than a G11.

ChrisA beat me to it. That's exactly the advice I would give. Get a DSLR if you want to get into photography. Get a point-and-shoot if you want to take snaps while you're out doing something else.

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
Many people have both a compact point and shoot and an SLR.

If you do go for the LR, look at lenses first. Look at what you want now and might want later. thenn buy what ever brand or model body fits. "body first" is backwards. Shop for lenses, then brand then model in that order.

I really couldn't agree more. I jumped into photography with a entry level SLR and terrible kit lenses and feel it was a mistake to enter in that way. I now find myself not only needing new glass but also a new body too!

Do your research before you get into it, go to stores and play around with the cameras (make sure you get a feel for the size, weight, etc.). Some people just want to take great shots but absolutely cannot deal with the bulk of prosumer cameras. There is nothing wrong with a point and shoot, especially with the various photo editing applications available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.