Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I'm buying a used Canon 20D off of Craigslist and I was just looking for some advice on what to check on the camera before I buy it.

Also, as long as I have a thread already I may as well make sure I'm getting a good deal as well. The camera is supposed to be in new condition (2k-3k actuations, box and accessories) and comes with the 18-55 kit lens and a 1GB CF card for $550.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Check the number of shutter actuations. You can find this number in the EXIF header of a RAW file.

What, exactly, constitutes a high shutter count varies. Some google research will give you a good range. My Nikon D70's shutter died at exactly 23000 shots, which is well below average. It typically costs about $250-$300 to replace.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Check the number of shutter actuations. You can find this number in the EXIF header of a RAW file.

What, exactly, constitutes a high shutter count varies. Some google research will give you a good range. My Nikon D70's shutter died at exactly 23000 shots, which is well below average. It typically costs about $250-$300 to replace.

I don't think you can find shutter actuations from a non-1series Canon body. Canon can check, but it is not embedded in the EXIF data. Nikon does embed it and I really wish Canon would get on board.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
My 20D is at about 25000 shots and I haven't had a single problem with it. If the current owner has sequential numbering on and it hasn't rolled over, that can tell you the number of shots. I think there is a spot in the menus that lists actuations, but I can't remember, I will try to look tonight and see if I can find it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm buying a used Canon 20D off of Craigslist and I was just looking for some advice on what to check on the camera before I buy it.

Also, as long as I have a thread already I may as well make sure I'm getting a good deal as well. The camera is supposed to be in new condition (2k-3k actuations, box and accessories) and comes with the 18-55 kit lens and a 1GB CF card for $550.

Start with looking for dead pixels, then number of actuations, then check the contacts at the lens mount, CF door, CF pins, and shutter/aperture function. Check the aperture blades on the lens too.

alleycat

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
And also a 90 day warranty on used bodies from Adorama too. ;)

Craigslist is a bit of Russian roulette IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.