Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tled

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Reading, England
Hey all, just wanted to ask for your insight about whether an Air 11 with 8gb of ram is a good choice for the moment or not.
I know of the Macbook model, but personally I don't like hi res screens (and probably am the only person in this forum that doesn't :p ) so I want the standard res macbook, with 8gb of ram just to be able to code, use office, and surf on the go.

The reason I'm asking is that the buyer's guide page suggests not to buy one, yet there is no info if there are any rumors regarding a 11 inch air release in the future.

Going for the air 11 8gb ram upgrade, UK HE discount + apple care for 760 pounds, which sounds like a good price for it.

Any thoughts against/for ? Or any thoughts for buying an older model for less from ebay? Although I do appreciate the 3 year apple care.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Air is probably a dead product line. Buying it means future update of system is not guaranteed.
You mention you need coding. I think hires screen is actually better for coding, as long as screen is large enough. :p
I still recommend you to choose the latest MacBook Pro if possible. ;)

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I think the Air is EOL, and won't see an updaate (but will like to be wrong), that said, I recently bought the Air 11 8/256 because I simply love it, I had one last year, it got stolen and ended up buying a MBP 13 inches (thought I might upgrade since I had the "luck").

Ended up selling it 2 months ago, the power was good and the screen as well but I figured for what I do (Web design and some illustrator work....light photoshop)I do not need the CPU and the retina display (the computer is always connected to a screen when at home), and the portability of the 11 is superb.

The rMB was an option, just did not want to compromise on power / usb ports....all in all the 11 is perfect for my needs and ended up re buying my loved one......HOLDING IT VERI TIGHT so it doesn't get stolen again :D.

You can also read here.

Reactions: Shirasaki

tled

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Reading, England
Thanks guys. I had a retina macbook in 2015 but did not like the retina screen, so I am not going back there if I can help it. I have purchased a windows laptop which also has hidpi screen. Hated it as well!
I do have a monitor at home, and will have a monitor at the uni if the extra screen is needed, so I am fine with that.
Regarding the not guaranteed system updates I hadn't considered that. Have they done something like that before? Because I can see El Capitan is compatible with Macbook Pro (non retina, 2012 model) for example.

@ppcebay thanks for the info

@Shirasaki have also to say that the price is a big factor, 760 gbp is good for a 3 year machine, I believe :)

I think I will go for it. :):)

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Thanks guys. I had a retina macbook in 2015 but did not like the retina screen, so I am not going back there if I can help it. I have purchased a windows laptop which also has hidpi screen. Hated it as well!
I do have a monitor at home, and will have a monitor at the uni if the extra screen is needed, so I am fine with that.
Regarding the not guaranteed system updates I hadn't considered that. Have they done something like that before? Because I can see El Capitan is compatible with Macbook Pro (non retina, 2012 model) for example.

@Shirasaki have also to say that the price is a big factor, 760 gbp is good for a 3 year machine, I believe :)

I would think that the 2015 MacBook Air will see updates for a long time.....they are better / faster than the 2015 rMB they have better specs than some stuff they still sell....and Apple still sell 2013 refurbished models (with guarantee them at least some update life).

I would say by the time an unsupported os comes out it will be time to update anyway....but it is just my 2 cents.

You are welcome!

Reactions: andreyush and tled

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Don't worry about osx updates, I don't see Apple stop supporting it anytime soon or anytime sooner than than retina Macbook.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
I would think that the 2015 MacBook Air will see updates for a long time.....they are better / faster than the 2015 rMB they have better specs than some stuff they still sell....and Apple still sell 2013 refurbished models (with guarantee them at least some update life).

I would say by the time an unsupported os comes out it will be time to update anyway....but it is just my 2 cents.

You are welcome!

Thumbs up!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Well, I am happy that you have your own choice.
Enjoy. :)

Reactions: tled
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.