Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chopaconer pomagranates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2023
Hey folks,

I was planning on upgrading my laptop now that the new M2 pros are being released, but i need some advice.

Given my budget, my options would either be a base 10 core 14in M2 pro with 512gb SSD or a discounted 10/16 core 14in M1 pro with a 1tb SSD

From what I've seen online, the newer model performs better in single core tasks but falls behind the upgraded M1 pro slightly in multicore tasks. I also heard that the older model benefits from the fast SSD allowing it's performance to rival that of the 32gb model (something the base M2 pro might not reach given the slower SSD)

My use case is for photo and video editing. Mostly running Lightroom, Photoshop, and Premiere (with occassional colour grading and minor effects). I'm a journalist and need something that works reliably in the field and maintain longevity over a few years.

My budget is firm which is why I'm not considering the 12/19 core M2 pro (or max models)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Clarify this...
I also heard that the older model benefits from the fast SSD allowing it's performance to rival that of the 32gb model (something the base M2 pro might not reach given the slower SSD)

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Because of SSD memory swapping ~ in certain tests, the 16gb model is almost parallel with the 32gb model.
RAM is way faster than any benefits SSD speed is going to give. I need to see some real data. 32GB Ram has a 100-200 Gbps Bandwidth. Any SSD, M1 or other wise will never match the RAM performance.
What tests? Who did those tests?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.