Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
Hello all,

I am looking around for a digital camera, not a very very flash, nor very very expensive one, just one that does the job. I am in New Zealand, and my budget is probably somewhere between $300-$400 US (I know it isn't much). Any recommendations?

I am thinking of selling an old Fuji FinePix A120 that I won 2 years ago :cool:
Any ideas of what it would be worth? Not much I know, but it all adds up...

Thanks guys, you advice is appreciated!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Hey, $300 USD will buy you a decent digital camera. ;)

Do you need it to be super-thin, or does it have to take really good photographs? The bigger cameras tend to have more manual control options. The thinner ones are just more convenient.

Sony has some really nice thin cameras. I'd definitely look into them. My friend owns a very nice thin Fuji camera that's very nice. Casio is known for their excellent small cameras (they don't just make calculators anymore :p ). I find Canons to be a bit chunkier, and their battery indicator is useless and is just infuriating sometimes. :eek: They take good photos though. I think any Canon IXUS camera is good. You don't need to get the expensive 10 MP models to get good photos. I'd aim for 5 or 6 MP in your camera.

Did you want actual model names and such? There's a lot of options.

Chris14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
Oooooh So many choices

Thanks Abstract,

I was really looking for a camera that takes decent images, at a decent quality, so 5-6 MegaPixels should do fine. I would be using it mostly for nature shots and landscape shots, although I would like to get into macro-photography.

I would use it for a few portrait shots, eg Family members blah blah,
but mostly for the above uses.

Thanks again!:)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Um.......so you want those things, so thank god you didn't ask for anything ultrathin as well. ;)

What about a Canon G6? Wait a little while, because the G7 was just announced by Canon and the older G6 model should be put on sale by some stores.

Actually, if you can find a Canon S2 IS, I'd recommend that. They released an S3 IS a few months ago, so the S2 IS should be on sale in some stores. Check flyers and such.

Panasonic FZ series are nice and can do a lot in terms of manual controls, but are a bit bigger.

Nikon makes the best point and shoots for macro shots (and they might be the best in general), so consider a decent sized Nikon. :)

Chris14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
Thanks for you help!

Thanks Abstract,

I will look into all the cameras you mentioned.
Then I should know enough to make an informed decision :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.